my phal is spiking!

zzackey(8b GA)November 29, 2011

I'm doing the happy dance! My one and only phal is spiking. I tried the chill hours thing for just 3 nights (the temps waved up and down too much and I had to bring it inside.) I didn't think 3 nights would be enought time. I'm so thrilled! It hasn't flowered since I bought it 3 years ago. I bought it at the commissary out of bloom in a small pot for only 99 cents.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

Congratulations! What color are the blooms? Or do you know, since it was out of bloom? Do you know what kind it is? Three nights may not have been enough, though it helped. It was probably getting ready to bloom anyway. Yes, everyone says they need cool temps to blooms, but I used to know an orchid grower from Malaysia, and he says the temps are always the same there and phals bloom in season every year without any chill hours. Are you giving it a fertilizer for blooms, with a high middle number? That can trigger blooming, too, and may have caused it to bloom.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 6:04PM
zzackey(8b GA)

It is a large white flower with a burgandy lip. It is a phaleonopsis. It didn't have a tag in it. I gave it Osmocote 14-14-14. I don't fertilize enough, so I'm surprised and delighted it did anything. I always forget when I fertilized last. I know I should keep a record of it, but I've got too much going on right now. It's always looked healthy.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 6:12PM
eahamel(9a)

I'll bet the plant is good sized now. It would be good for you to get a fertilizer with a higher middle number and use it very dilute when you water, several months before blooming season, which is right now. But Osmocote will work if you have too much going on to do that. If you can give it something to help with blooming, it will make 2 spikes eventually.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 7:17PM
zzackey(8b GA)

It is big. It has 4 sets of leaves and it has put out 2 nice roots on top of the bottom leaves. I think it had 2 spikes when it bloomed the first time for me.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 8:14PM
ginnibug

I think chill for us and chill for the plants are two different things sometimes. They like to have a 20 degree drop from daytime temps and nighttime temps. When it's uber-hot, sounds really good to me.

I'm glad somebody else has found Osmocote fert. to be useful. I use the Dynamite version (the one in the red package). I just have way too many things going on all at one time to stop and mix up fertilizer everytime I water. The only ones I don't use it on are the Dends.Just remember the more leaves you grow during the summer is a potential for more flowers on the spike next flowering season. Some plants naturally put out more spikes than others,they are just more floriferous.Happy growing. ginnibug

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 9:03AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I've used Dynamite before. I didn't have any luck with it and it was quite pricey. We used it in the nursery I worked it, but it had a different brand name, but it was still the gray oblong pellets. It worked great there.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
My phal's aerial roots appear shriveled at tips ?
Regarding aerial roots on my phal's: the tips of the...
Storm 7a
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
Phal Question...Should I do it??
Ok... somebody either stop me or tell me to go with...
scorpgirl24
Need help with Phal
I bought a Phal at HD yesterday I was attracted to...
elizabethk1
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
Sponsored Products
BOREA Bird Feeder by Blomus
$105.99 | Lumens
Maxim Silo Polished Chrome 6-Light Bathroom Light Fixture
Lamps Plus
Possini Euro Design 15-Light Glass Orbs Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Blue Lagoon Seeded Glass Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Eglo USA Nikita 8699 Wall Sconce - 86997A
$116.00 | Hayneedle