Oncidium Twinkle Dying?

ryanstinerNovember 11, 2010

I need help. New to orchids. Bought an oncidium twinkle for the wife while it was flowering. Now all of the stems and buds and leaves have yellowed and fallen off. Kinda figured it was part of the lifecycle, but now one of the pseudobulbs is shriveling and yellowed, and another is plump, but yellowed. Is this thing totally dying? Sorry if this is elsewhere in the forums ... i poked around google results for a bit and ended up here.

Please Help!

Thanks!

/ryan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchid_123(z7)

It is ok for orchids to lose their flower spikes after they are done flowering. However, when all the leaves start falling off, then something's wrong. How are you growing the plant (like watering, temperature, light, etc)? Without your growing conditions, I cannot tell for sure, but I can make a guess and say that your orchid has root rot. Without roots, the plant cannot take in water, and thus becomes dehydrated (shriveled). If this goes too far, then the leaves start falling off. Can you check the roots? If they are firm, that's good, if they are mushy and hollow, then that's root rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: AOS oncidium culture sheet

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 9:13PM
More Discussions
Bletilla Ochrea question
Last fall I planted a Bletilla Chinese ground orchid...
cooperdr_gw
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
Exchange forum
Is the exchange forum still sponsored on Houzz? If...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™