ice and Phals

ron_tacomaNovember 1, 2010

I had posted the first week in October that I was taking 4 phals and going to try the 3 ice cube method. Last Saturday I was getting ready to put my 3 ice cubes in place and noticed that two of my Phals have spikes. They are about 2 inches tall. The other two don't show anything but they are younger plants. Which might have something to do with it. I have trouble posting photos on this forum but I will post on the photo gallery. You will see by the photos that the roots look good, and the leaves look good, and they are going into spike.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ron_tacoma

sorry guys cann't get the photos in. I will have to wait for my son to come up next week. He is the computer wiz, not me. But I will try again later when I have more time.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 8:26PM
elvis

Ice cubes? Never did THAT. Whatever you have been doing seems to be working. If it ain't broke...

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 9:55PM
ron_tacoma

elvis----Last month there were a bunch of postings on the forum. Subject: "Phals under ice" they even referenced a web site. I tried it with 4 plants Just to see what would happen, and I am getting some response. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do but I was willing to try it. I am still having problems posting photos but I am trying. My spikes must be two inches tall.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 11:28PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

I followed the previous posting and whilst it does seem kind of perverse, it is possible for ice to occur naturally in the tropics- as hail during heavy thunderstorms. Paradoxically this occurs most often during the "summer" when the storms are at their biggest. I have seen the ground covered completely white by this phenomenon, which of course only lasts for a couple of minutes.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 9:48PM
ron_tacoma

ifraser25--I looked at your "My Page" and was able to email you the photos I took. I am not defending nor pormoting this method. I still have my doubts. But I had to try it.

Bookmark   November 3, 2010 at 10:40PM
elvis

Hmmm. What is the ice supposed to do, besides melt?

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 11:32PM
captainjohn(Z 9 La)

You got it...melt! Adding a set number of ice cubes at a predetermined interval is a method of watering phals. This method is used by those who are otherwise unable to determine when to water on an "as needed" basis. The goal is to prevent overwatering.

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 11:01PM
ron_tacoma

The two that spiked out are now 6 inches tall. the other two have not shown a thing. I am not sure if it was the ice that did it. Or they were just ready to spike out. I also have a couple of other Phals that are spiking and not being treaded by ice. Like I said it just might be that they were ready to start flowering.

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 11:31PM
smwboxer

Pretty much any of the commonly sold phal. hybrids should be spiking about now. It's that time of year for them.

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 7:12AM
elvis

Ya, smwboxer, we're got spikage up here in Wisconsin...

But my guys do that year 'round. It must be the room they're in.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 11:43AM
ron_tacoma

The flowering season for most Phals is Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, sonme into Sep. There are some Philippine species that flower Feb, Mar, Apr. If you email me I will send you the culture info.

Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
angraecum sesquipedale framboyant x bosorii lisa
Hi all, Two weeks ago i received an Angraecum sesquipedale...
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
Dem kingianum flower spikes turning brown early
I purchased a dem kingianum recently at an orchid show...
Creative Soapstone LLC
Dend potting medium
I was given 2 hard cane dends packed tightly together...
bea
Sponsored Products
Thermocast Bathroom Aymesbury Drop-in Bathroom Sink in Ice Gray 82480
Home Depot
Black Fashtote Soft-Sided 24-Can Cooler
$12.99 | zulily
Ary 876110 VacMaster Pro 110 Vacuum Packaging Machine - 054202926101
$88.21 | Hayneedle
Island Bay 13 ft. Gray Geo Quick Dry Hammock with Verona Stand - ALZ1139
$254.98 | Hayneedle
Spider-Man Mask Ice Cube Tray
$7.99 | zulily