Cardinal de Richelieu as a freestanding shrub?

bman1920(5b)January 24, 2014

Thinking of ordering CdR just wanted to know if it needed support or could be grown as a freestanding shrub next to mme hardy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

My experience in a much milder climate than yours is yes, it can easily be grown as a free standing shrub. Not providing it support will force it to thicken its canes instead of lengthening them. Any which are overly long, simply whack off. Kim

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 8:52PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Bman1920

Yes, Cardinal de R grows shrubby like most gallicas. In my experience, his form depends on pruning--tighter and more upright with heavier pruning and looser and more arching when lightly pruned or infrequently pruned. I keep my gallicas somewhere in between and offer some mild support (stakes and wires) around them. He does arch a bit under the weight of full blooms.

His mauve-grape mystery will look wonderful next to Madame H's pristine white perfection! Nice combo.

Carol

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 9:20PM
AnneCecilia z5 MI

My experience with CdeR in zone 4b was that he grew short and shrubby - never an arching plant there, and certainly never in need of any support. "Free-standing," indeed. I would think your plant in zone 5 would grow in much more similar fashion to mine than to those in zones 8 or 10...

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 7:27AM
daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres

I remember admiring Cardinal de Richelieu at Sissinghurst Gardens. It was so full of blooms I could hardly see the leaves.
They have their own way of pruning at Sissinghurst, to maximise the blooms.
You might want to have a look at how they do it.
Daisy

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning roses...the Sissinghurst way

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 7:39AM
monarda_gw

Mine is quite a short spreading shrub, as were all the ones I have ever seen in other gardens. I think it is a rose that would benefit from being planted where one could look at it close up, set off by a background of silvery foliage, perhaps. The flowers are really very small, though they have great distinction.

Daphne Filiberti, who I think gardens in Southern California, says hers needs support, however. What a great website she has. I am attaching a link to her very artistic picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daphne Filiberti's portrait of Cardinal de Richelieu bloom

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:57PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Ms. Filiberti writes very poetically in addition to showing a lovely portrait of the Cardinal.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:27PM
sadie_pnw

Here is a picture of it in the Sacramento City Cemetery last April. It is a freestanding shrub with a spread of about 6 feet or more. In your climate, it sounds like it will be much smaller. I also don't know how much or how this one is pruned. It is a really beautiful rose; good luck with yours!

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 12:09AM
roseseek

Richelieu was the only "Gallica" I could grow in a mild climate that flowered reliably without having to ice it in winter. I LOVED the colors it could produce. Kim

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 1:13AM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

Harborrose -- I NEED to share that pic on my facebook page. Thankfully, I see you posted it to HelpMeFind for everyone to enjoy. Nothing like a gorgeous pic in full-bloom to show non-rose people why we like the oldies.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 2:51AM
sadie_pnw

Christopher, I hope you convince a lot of people that the old ones are worth growing and I am glad to contribute a picture. That specimen at the Sacramento cemetery really is breath-taking. Gean

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 11:15AM
chris209

I remember reading that this is one of the gallicas that will get blackspot. Can anyone speak to its disease resistance?

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 7:06PM
roseseek

Zone 10, Southern California it black spotted moderately when conditions were at their worst and mildewed early and late in the year. Otherwise, it was fine. But, at least the blamed thing FLOWERED without special treatment and the color was amazing. Kim

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 7:52PM
AquaEyes 7a New Jersey

Mine got some, and quickly lost affected leaves (less than half, but mine is only a year and a half with me), and quickly refoliated. It didn't get it until well after its blooming was done, and I think non-blooming roses simply don't draw as much attention to themselves when they may be hit with blackspot, so I really didn't mind. Compared to some others I planted this year, it wasn't hit very hard at all.

:-)

~Christopher

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 12:29AM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Whatever variety of blackspot we've got in PDX doesn't seem to seriously attack Cardinal. Like my other (somewhat neglected) gallicas, he does mildew after flowering. Whack! That was the sound of sharpened secateurs.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
and up today is......
yes, I know it isn't roses but where else can I boast? So...
Campanula UK Z8
Mme Alfred Carriere - final size in UK?
Hi I have a planting dilemma. This spring I bought...
fduk_gw UK zone 3 (US zone 8)
Frustrated with the System Again!!
I laboriously downsized and labeled ten pictures and...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Dig a way of antique roses
I am disassembling my antique rose garden in Minnesota....
geodave
Opinion on planting group of 3 different Austins in triangle
I'd like to plant something interesting as a focal...
view1ny NY 6-7
Sponsored Products
Sunflower Cube Floor Lamp in Black
$398.00 | LexMod
Sara 59" Soaking Bathtub by Wyndham Collection - White
Modern Bathroom
Hook Chandelier by Terzani
$4,950.00 | Lumens
Campania International Samantha Garden Statue - A-492 - NATURAL
$164.99 | Hayneedle
32 Inch Stainless Steel Undermount 60/40 Double Bowl Kitchen Sink Zero Radius De
eModern Decor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Antique Fleur-De-Lis Black 9 ft.
Home Depot
Rounded Frosted Crystal Glass Toothbrush Holder
TheBathOutlet
Leucos | Colage Wall Sconce
YLighting
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™