10% bleach solution?

jank(US10)November 18, 2010

Noticed short discussion of this being "battlefield sterilization" in the snow mold thread. Looked at my gallon of Clorox and it indicated that it is 6% bleach and the rest water. Is this enough to kill virus or fungus?

Also, in a reference link to pruning in the other recent fungus thread, the author there said you could just wipe your pruning shears with peroxide or a bleach solution between cuts.

How do you feel about the safety/efficacy of either of these: bleach or peroxide?

If 6% bleach (as in Clorox for laundry) isn't strong enough, where do you get 10%?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stitzelweller(Md)

jank, you can make your own 10% clorox bleach solution by mixing it yourself. Use NINE parts water and then add ONE part bleach, in that order.

6% solution? This is the first time that I have heard of that. 10% is sort of a standard from WAAAy back. Perhaps, Nick our resident expert on medical stufff, might comment? Hellloooo, Nick - are you thar?

I used to work in medical research. 10% was THE ONLY way to go to achieve a quidk sterilization without the benefit of the preferred autoclave treatment. We only used the 10% (emergemcy) solution when someone screwed up and forgot to autoclave surgical instruments. Autoclave is another word for GIANT pressure cooker! :) The usual treatment for surgical instruments was a MINIMUM of 15 minutes at 250ðF at 15 lbs per square inch. I have seen very small autoclave to others so larger that you could drive a car into it (goverment money, there!). Back in olden times, I had daily access to humongous autoclaves and I sterilized potting media in them. As large as those big brothers were, they could still STINK UP large areas!

--Stitz--

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 10:39PM
orchidnick

This is not a hospital instrument sterilization process. I'm sure when they say 10% solution they mean 1 part Chlorox, 9 parts water. I doubt that they recognize that this will give them 0.6% bleach. As I indicated, the snow mold disappeared so I never treated but if and when I should, I would dilute Chlorox by a factor of 10 to start with. If it does not work one can always bump up the dosage. The key is not to hurt the plant.

Nick

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 10:55PM
jank(US10)

Tnanks, Stitz

Those autoclaves sound awesome!
Hmmmm...guess semantics is confusing me...

My Clorox, according to the label, is only 6% sodium hypoclorite (if I have the chemical name right), so I guess I was confused as to whether the 10% solution was 10% Clorox or 10% "bleach", which I thought was the chemical.

If I have it right, the 10% solution I want is 9 parts water to 1 part of the 6% solution? This is what was used as a sub for the autoclaving?

My husband has some "Outdoor Clorox" but the label does not divulge what percent of the chemical that is.

TIA for any further input,
Jan

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 11:08PM
jank(US10)

Thanks for piping up, Nick!
That's the figure I came up with too.
Jan

Bookmark   November 18, 2010 at 11:15PM
highjack(z6 KY)

The 6% is the strongest solution of bleach you can buy over the counter. Be careful if you find an off brand for a lower price, check the label. It may be less than 6% dilution so for sanitizing you would need less water, more bleach.

I don't think peroxide would kill any viruses.

I wonder if Outdoor Clorox has no bleach in it?

Brooke

Bookmark   November 19, 2010 at 6:30AM
More Discussions
Orchid ID Please...
A friend gave this to me last summer (no blooms) and...
puglvr1
What's wrong with my phan?
Hi, I need some help with my orchid. This is what happened: The...
adelalis
Orchid potting mix?
Anyone ever used al's gritty mix as orchid potting...
Britni Rice
orid lighting examples with pics/ how do you use orcid bloom enhance
Could some people post a pic of where they keep their...
Katie Parker
My phal's aerial roots appear shriveled at tips ?
Regarding aerial roots on my phal's: the tips of the...
Storm 7a
Sponsored Products
Hinkley Lighting 53243BN Jules Brushed Nickel 3 Light Vanity
Littman Bros Lighting
Nature 6650 Multi Lodge Area Rug (7'10 x 10'3)
Overstock.com
Hyper Links Tapered Lamp Shade 10x12x8 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor LR Resources Rugs Adana Charcoal/Gray Runner 1 ft. 10 in.
$39.97 | Home Depot
Brisa 2000 Ceiling Fan by Matthews Fans
$1,337.00 | Lumens
Treasure Garden Cantilever 11 Foot Wide Crank Lift Tilt & Lock Umbrella
LuxeDecor
Darya Rugs Arts and Crafts, Ivory, 2'7" x 9'10" Runner Rug M1770-394
Bitterroot Bit and Spur
Orange 10-Piece Container Set
$11.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™