cattleya ???

mystic_2008December 28, 2011

I think I have a cattleya orchid plant. When I got it, it was in bloom, then the blooms fell off. I cut the stem back, but think I might have cut too much off. I have just transplanted it into the orchid moss which it was in before. The leaves look healthy.

My question is, will this orchid ever bloom again and if so, how long will it take to bloom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

There are many orchids that could be described as "Cattleya" look at the thumbnails in the link to see if there is something similar there. provided you have not caused too much damage a new growth should start in spring from the base of the growth which had the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laeliinae subtribe set

Bookmark   December 28, 2011 at 2:02AM
mystic_2008

Thank you very much for your help. The one that I have looks alot like Blc. Blanche Aisaka. I think that it is very pretty. I sure hope that I have not ruined the plant as it is very healthy and I would enjoy seeing another bloom on it.

Bookmark   December 28, 2011 at 11:57PM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

You have a standard Cattleya, most of them flower in Autumn from the latest growth which started to grow in spring and matured late summer. Some of them wait till winter or even spring to flower.

See if you can find some complete cultivation notes written for growing conditions in Canada. Google Cattleya growing or Cattleya cultivation to find.

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 1:33AM
Shiffdaddy

No such thing as cutting the flower stem too far back.. unless of course you cut into the actual growth or a leaf, or pbulb. But either way orchids are tough and it'll most likely do fine. Hope this helps.

Ben

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 2:32AM
mystic_2008

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have never grown an orchid before and was told by a friend that I had cut the stem too far down. Will have to see what spring brings.

Bookmark   December 29, 2011 at 11:52PM
orchidnick

I never cut a flower stem until it is completely brown. Usually when it blooms the next year, I clean up the leaves and the mess left behind from the previous year before displaying the plant. That's a sure way to avoid transferring virus. With a collection of one, obviously not applicable. I have a pair of scissors I never flame but it never touches anything green either.

Nick

Bookmark   December 30, 2011 at 9:13AM
susan2010(6 Massachusetts)

I'm hoping that you only cut the dead flower stalk and not the pseudopod (fat, green part where the flowers come from). Unless those are completely dead, you don't want to prune them off. The plant relies on them to store water and nutrients. There are some good introductory articles and videos at repotme.com that a novice should find helpful.

Bookmark   December 30, 2011 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Newly potted bear root Brassia orchid spiking
Hi everyone, I bought this Brassia orchid bear root...
velleta tardiel
What's wrong with my phan?
Hi, I need some help with my orchid. This is what happened: The...
adelalis
Dog tumor?
Is there a reason the post below about a dog's tumor...
bea
orcid roots really short
do i need to worry alot about not getting the plant...
Katie Parker
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™