Sacramento Historic Rose Garden Open Garden, Apr 12

cemeteryrose(USDA 9/Sunset 14)January 19, 2014

Mark your calendars for our Open Garden, 930-2, April 12. We usually have it the third Sat in April, but moved it forward because of Easter. As warm as it's been, having it a week earlier will probably mean that our roses will be in full flush. In any case, we will have some of our rare roses for sale, some other rosy items, garden tours, and a chance to hang out with other rose lovers surrounded by thousands of blooms.
Anita

Here is a link that might be useful: Cemetery Rose Website

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosefolly

Have a wonderful time! I'm sure it will be glorious. It always is.

Unfortunately I will not be there this year. That is the one day in April when I have a commitment I cannot break for anything short of illness or emergency, my county's Master Gardener plant sale.

Rosefolly

Bookmark   January 19, 2014 at 9:31PM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

I am so happy for the earlier date. Michael works every other weekend and must take time off to make it. This year the date is perfect for us. We wouldn't miss it. Any of you who haven't seen this wonderful garden please understand that it is incredibly worthwhile.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 7:12PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Someday, your neck of the west will be a family road trip. Indoctrinating my daughter. :-)

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 8:18PM
JoshTx(8a)

I would love to go. I'll see what I can arrange. Being a broke college student, though, I'm not sure I will be able to make it.

Is there any way to purchase a rose without being there in person?

Josh

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 9:56PM
cemeteryrose(USDA 9/Sunset 14)

Josh, we don't ship roses. Sorry. It would be lovely if you and others from afar could come - but if not this year, another one, I hope!
Anita

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 10:06AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Having had aged-dog-related issues that prevented us from going in the past, I've made the resolution to drag our canines along and make the trip this year. It won't be as worry-free but I've been dying to see this garden ever since I've learned of it.

This may sound anti-social (and I confess to being a loner) but I've had some trepidation that visiting on Open Garden Day will be more about people and lots of hustle and bustle, and I won't have the opportunity to study the roses and have the garden more to myself as I would on some other quiet mid-week date. At the same time I would love to meet some of my forum friends very much. I'll just have to give this some thought.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 12:49PM

The garden is three acres with a lot of big roses, so if you want to look at roses on your own, that's possible. The event ends at 2 and we fold up things pretty fast, and the cemetery should be open 7 till 7 (although sometimes the city sticks to winter hours and is 8 till 5). So, there are times that you can be fairly well on your own. For me, it's ALL hustle and bustle that day and I never see everybody that I'd like to see. Ingrid, if you do come, please try to stop me for a minute and say hello. The same goes for all the rest of you too. I really like connecting faces to people whom I know via the internet.
Anita

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 8:26PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Anita, I wouldn't dream of coming to the cemetery and not meeting you. I know you'll be busy but hope you'll have time for a hello and a hug. I deeply respect all the time and effort you've expended on behalf of the cemetery in addition to having your own garden to care for. The forum wouldn't be the same without you either.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 11:06PM

Thanks, Ingrid. Dogs on a leash are welcome in the cemetery, by the way!
Anita

Bookmark   January 22, 2014 at 12:30AM
jacqueline9CA

Anita - thanks for the announcement! My DH and I will be there, and I think I have convinced a couple who are friends of ours who have never been there to come with us. They are gardeners, but only have one row of modern roses at their house - hope to convert them!

Jackie

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:26PM
priscilla_ca

Hi Anita, Just following up, is there a catalog for the event yet?
Looking forward to seeing what roses will be available and making the trip!
Thanks,
Priscilla

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 1:20PM

Jeri makes the catalog for us. We are hopeful that she and her DH will be there with all three DDs (dear Dalmations). We are aiming to have it ready at least a week before the event - earlier if possible.
Anita

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 8:21PM
fogrose(zone 10/sunset 17)

I am so sad that I will miss this year's open garden and sale. But I'll make an effort to visit some other day during the bloom.

Ingrid, I would have liked to meet you. Hope you have a wonderful time. You should visit the garden the day before to really experience it in solitude.

Diane

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 8:09PM
nancylee2(Z10 Gaviota Coast)

We went last year both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday AM was quite busy what with the sale, auctions, and tours. Later in the afternoon we returned with cameras to quiet and found the same on Sunday. This year I think we will take our lunch and picnic late. I too am a quiet one with crowd aversion tendencies, yet found this a welcome happening. Perhaps it was the common love of roses that made it so. So, here's hoping we see you Ingrid, Pam, Pricilla, Anita and others we have yet to meet. It is such a beautiful and peaceful garden!

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 8:41PM
NewGirlinNorCal(9b)

I can't wait! I've loved going the past two years. The only problem is that I really don't have any more space for roses! I'll just have to restrain myself and get something rose-related like a shirt!

Bookmark   March 1, 2014 at 9:40PM
rosefolly

Good idea, New Girl. I have a Cemetery Garden Tshirt that I really like.

Folly

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 12:45AM

Aprons - denim shirts - tshirts - there are other ways to spend your money at Open Garden! We have some heirloom iris too. Of course, we would not turn down a donation either. We are doing some big-ticket items this year after building up a fund - new markers for the plots, a new Historic Rose Garden sign, a new structure - we are making some wonderful improvements. Very exciting. Rather expensive (and totally out of our non-profit funds)!

Whether or not you can support us financially or with your time, we'd love to have you come and enjoy the roses.
Anita

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 4:33PM
zjw727(Coastal Oregon Zone 8b)

What an exciting prospect! If I can manage to get there this year, I'll be especially excited to see Lady Roberts- last year, she had finished her Spring flush, and the remaining blooms were fried (it was almost 90 deg. the day I was there). Even so, the colors were still gorgeous! White Maman Cochet cascading down the side of a mausoleum is one of the most beautiful rose situations I have ever seen. Geez, just thinking about it has me twitching with rose-lust.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 2:25PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I hope to make it this year.

Actually thinking of making it a rosey weekend and visiting San Jose and San Juan Bautista too.

Or stretching the weekend out for some time in Gold Country.

See ya there! (I hope)

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 9:19PM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

Nancy Lee and Ingrid I don't want to miss seeing you. Please don't hide out too much Ingrid!

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
Help with ID of old white rose?
This rose belongs to a friend, and I'm hoping for a...
vmr423
Rosa Chinesis
I just found the name of this rose on a cottage garden...
alameda/zone 8
It´s all about pruning and training of those lanky roses
Many people like the roses Gertrude Jekyll (Austin)...
cupshaped_roses
HRG SEMINAR! May 2, San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™