Would Wild Rabbit Droppings Work as Fertilizer?

ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)January 5, 2014

The area behind the far end of the house contains only trees and is surrounded by a hedge of tall junipers. The wild rabbits often gather there because they seem to feel safe and I also put out fresh water there for them and the birds. The area now has quite an accumulation of droppings. How would they work as fertilizer for the roses?

Ingrid

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catsrose(VA 6)

should be fine, especially the older ones.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 9:36PM
rosefolly

Don't see why not.
Much of the natural world is fertilized in just such a manner.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:33PM
seil zone 6b MI

The rabbits have been pooping on my rose beds for years, while they eat the roses of course, hasn't seemed to hurt them.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 11:53PM
Evenie

Of all the varieties of excrement available, I find rabbit poop to be the least offensive. Honestly, I wish I had some!

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 11:55AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

That sounds like an unqualified yes, thank you! It is inoffensive, absolutely no odor I can detect. I'm only left wondering how beneficial it is, but I suppose anything organic has to be good, to whatever degree.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 3:17PM
nastarana(5a)

Wabbit droppings to induce regrowth of the canes the wabbits ate?

If you want wabbits, I can ship you some. Our wabbits think alba roses are wabbit candy. Grrrrr.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 4:43PM
floridarosez9

Wabbit poo was my Nana's favorite fertilizer, and she had four green thumbs. I think it was because she didn't have to worry about it burning anything.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 5:34PM
damask55linen

No one has been envious of my pitiful garden- until now! I've been feeding the field rabbits my extra aged to perfection vegetables , and in turn they congregate at my yard after munching the ALFALFA field...

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 6:53PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

nastarana, I can imagine your frustration. Our rabbits get culled every year by coyotes, bobcats and the occasional mountain lion, and the few that are left by now for some reason don't bother the roses. They seem to enjoy eating the fallen leaves from the trees in that area and don't venture in the garden very often.

floridarose and damask, it sounds as though it's good stuff. I'll have to see whether my roses perk up after a few applications.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 9:26PM
subk3

Rabbit droppings â Fertilizer
Rabbit droppings = Compost

All sorts a great reasons to add manures and compost, but the NPK values are generally too low to be considered fertilizer. So yes, use it for the organic matter, micro-nutrients, soil improvement, et. al. Just keep in mind that it may not be enough quantity (especially since you are getting it from the wild) to solve any NPK deficiencies as a true fertilizer would.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 11:43PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I remember vaguely some potential for a transmittable disease from the droppings in CA, something to keep in mind--wear gloves but you probably do anyway.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 11:28AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

hoovb, yes that was something I had considered. I never wear gloves (silly, I know) but do wash my hands thoroughly after handling the droppings.

subk3, you're right about not having enough material to put on all my roses and I consider it more as something to nourish my poor soil than the roses. It costs nothing and that way the rabbits aren't sitting in their own poop all the time.

Ingrid

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
William R. Smith
Does anyone know how this compares to Maman Cochet...
titian1 10b
Tipsy Imperial Concubine bush
Does anyone have any snaps of the bush? I have googled...
adamharbeck
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
Tess of the d'Ubervilles
I have bragged on Tess on several posts but never could...
alameda/zone 8
How Drought Tolerant Is Darlow's Enigma?
A couple of years ago, the phone company swooped in...
plectrudis (Zone 8b Central TX)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™