Ginormous Laelia anceps flower stalk

wuness(z5 IL)December 8, 2010

My L. anceps flowers tend to be caked in a glutinous substance that can deform the flowers unless I keep them moist and remove the bracts. I understand that may not be all that uncommon.

One of my plants currently has two flower stalks that are now in excess of 40 inches long. I've had this before, but I've also had much shorter stalks on this plant as well. It tends to make it difficult to put the plant in a position to enjoy the beautiful pink flowers.

Has anyone else experienced this before? I'm wondering if this is the result of lower light intensity at this time of the year.

wuness

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
penelope14(5 WI)

My L. anceps has 4 spikes this year. It is mounted and I use a pump sprayer to water it every other day. I make sure to spray the spikes too because, like you, the spikes get gummed up and wrinkle.

I have mine hanging in a large window facing south so my spikes don't get to be 40 inches but do get to be about a yard long. L. anceps do have very, very long spikes.

When you have the shorter spikes was the light brighter or was the plant in a different location? It could be the reduced light is the culprit.

Penelope

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 6:33PM
orchidnick

I have had very long spikes on L anceps and also medium long ones. This year they are definitely on the short side. Must be the climate of a given year.

Nick

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 12:14AM
wuness(z5 IL)

I am growing three plants from an original clump. Besides the plant with the extremely long stalks, I have a second one with a flower stalk of only 6-8 inches. The third plant has a flower stalk of intermediate length. They grow side-by-side in the brightest corner of the greenhouse. Now that I think about it, maybe the most important factor is the condition of the plant, or how well established it is. The plant with the short stalk is also the smallest.

wuness

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
Orchid IDs?
I got a few orchids within the months from places like...
fuzzballiscute
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
Why are my phal orchid bloom so late in the season?
I have 8-9 pots of phal orchid, they all have flower...
Sara_in_philly
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™