Found another source for Habenaria radiata

aachenelf z5 MplsDecember 5, 2010

Every once in a while, someone asks where to get these. I was looking for sources for Pleione today and came across this nursery (link below). I've never ordered from this place, but the prices are good. Their Bletilla yunnanensis

looks kinda cool too.

In case you're not familiar with Habenaria radiata, here's one of my pics from a couple of years ago. Like Pleione, these are dormant this time of year and stored in the fridge.

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: Habs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitecat8(z4 MN)

Kevin,

Thanks for this.

The source I've been using is Van Bourgondien. Right now, they show Habs as out of stock, but in the past anyway, they've accepted orders over winter for spring delivery.

Note: Von B tends to run out of these in late winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hab radiata, Van Bourgondien, aka Dutch Bulbs

Bookmark   December 5, 2010 at 7:27PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

WC - In comparing prices, Van B is 2 for $17. The source I listed is 5 for $20.

I've read and heard such terrible things about Van B, so I've always avoided ordering anything from them. I guess your experience must have been better. I'm kind-a in the mood to start collecting Habs when I can find them. I recently purchased a Habenaria rhodocheila 'Cardinal's Roost' HCC/AOS dormant. We'll see if it wakes up this spring. Sure hope so.

Kevin

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 5:45AM
whitecat8(z4 MN)

Kevin, after my 1st post, I went to the site. Yep - huge difference in prices, and I'll go w/ them this year.

The 3 years I've ordered from Von B, the corms have seemed healthy; my care has been a learning curve which I may have gotten right this last year cuz all 4 spiked.

The only other plants from them were 2 small Dogwood trees that I hoped to raise indoors. One of the two flourished, but the other one was dead. Because the two were on sale for $7.50 plus shipping, I let it go.

Evidently, Zephyrus Orchids in Canada has a Hab radiata-type orchid w/ flowers about 10 times the size of the ones we've gotten - Hab susannae, which they call "Pecteilis susannae." If you go to the link, scroll all the way down.

Out of my price range, but fun to imagine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hab(?) susannae, Zephyrus Orchids

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 10:05AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Yes, out of my price range too. Plus the whole hassle of ordering plants from Canada. Those are some really nice looking plants however.

It is kinda fun to just search around and see what's available from some of these lesser known nurseries. I found some nice terrestrials at the link below including a really spectacular Habenaria ciliaris. You have to go almost to the bottom of their plant list to see it. Unfortunately since this one grows almost 3 feet tall, I think I'll have to pass. I might order some of the others however.

Here is a link that might be useful: Habs

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 4:47PM
orchidnick

I just got some hassle free plants from Fraser's Thimble Farm. They did all the paper work and totally legal plants arrived at my front door. Cites and Phyto sanitary cost $25.

Nick

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
How do I grow my Dendrobium Aggregatum orchid
Hi everyone so I am good with phals, but I recently...
velleta tardiel
my phalenopsis has a baby orchid on the stem
what do i do? I've never seen this before
ekkiemom
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Bletilla Ochrea question
Last fall I planted a Bletilla Chinese ground orchid...
cooperdr_gw
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™