Epidendrum porphyreum

bahia(SF Bay Area)December 17, 2011

I've been pleasantly surprised how easy to grow this species Reedstem orchid has been to grow outdoors here in Berkeley, California. Far showier in bloom and less problematic to encourage heavy blooming with minimal attention on my part than the more common hybrid Epidendrums I also grow. I also have E. embreii and E. capricornu thriving and blooming for the past several months, but E. porphyreum has to be the showiest.

Anyone have suggestions for other high elevation cloud forest Epidendrum species that are worth searching out? I also have good success with Sobralia macrantha outdoors here, but am unwilling to cultivate outdoor orchids that must be protected from mollusks and/or squirrel damage. So far, over the past 3 years, these Epidendrums have required next to no special care on my part except remembering to add some time release fertilize twice a year...

Here is a link that might be useful: Epidendrum porphyreum

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Gorgeous Epidendrum, i'm surprised that no one has come up with a suggestion seeing that so many species are listed on Jay's species site.

I'm growing some seedlings of the newer hybrid types that have better flowers and dwarf plant habit compared the old fashioned common Epidendrums. Do not know how they would go in the climate there.

Bookmark   December 27, 2011 at 11:40PM
More Discussions
How to repot Prosthechea radiata cochleata?
I purchased this plant (with the little shell-like...
meri10
Need help with my Ice Cube Orchid
I received an Ice Cube Orchid from a friend. It did...
DeLynn Kreinbrook
Phal skipped bloom this year
My Phalenopsis, which has bloomed regularly each year,...
robtj
Orchids, please help
Need help for my lost Orchid food. I used "Safer,...
woofcar
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™