Seidenfadenia Mitrata

dlsorchids(6-A)December 18, 2011

Back in March of 2011 I attended the International Orchid Show at Longwood Gardens. That was my first show and my oh my was it amazing to see so many different orchids in one place. Anyways, I purchased a Seidenfadenia Mitrata from Ooi Leng Sun Orchids because it was cool how the orchid hung upside down. Well for the last nine months the only thing that has happened is 2 new roots grew from the crown and nothing else. The roots only grew out about an inch and nothing more. Ive searched all over the internet and cant find any useful information on care or maintaining this orchid. I have the orchid mounted to hickory bark with moss. I live in South Central PA and I mist the moss 2 times a day. The realitive humidity at this time of the year in my home is around 60% and I keep the temp at 70. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Gorgeous orchid. Have a look at the entry in Jays Species Orchid site and google the Synonym Aerides mitrata.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 7:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

I have been growing the mitrata (pink) and mitrata (alba) for many years now. They don't seem to need any special conditions; one is bareroot mounted on cork and the other just hanging bareroot from a wire hook. Humidity runs 50-60% on the average but can be higher or lower. Temps 60-85F depending on season. Bright indirect light. Fertilized when I remember.

The plants put out their spikes here in March and bloom in April, generally.

Good luck with your plant.

Bookmark   December 18, 2011 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Orchid ID Please...
A friend gave this to me last summer (no blooms) and...
puglvr1
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Question on dendrobium nobile
Since my den stopped blooming a while ago, I didn't...
vtandrea
is orcid doomed? (is it doomed by over watering?
I have a Phalaenopsis orcid and I live in eastern Iowa...
Katie Parker
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™