healthy phals which will not bloom.

beanthere(NW (BC) Canada)December 13, 2011

My friend has a dozen phals all with twoto three sets of healthy leaves - they will not bloom. She has them in shaded light, waters carefully, fertilizes occaisionally -

any ideas? my only idea is not enough night temperature change.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Canada huh? Almost certainly it's lack of light, especially at this time of year.Try giving them a couple of hours of direct sun per day. Most of mine get a couple of hours direct sun per day here in Brazil, morning or evening. All bloom. I rarely burn any. - Ian.

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 8:14PM
orchidnick

Since it's cold outside, the house temp is controlled rigidly. If the plant is in a steady 70F or whatever without variation, that may be the reason. 10f to 15F day/night difference is desired by them.

Nick

Bookmark   December 13, 2011 at 11:45PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I agree with Ifraser...increase the light!

Jane

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 1:00AM
westoh Z6

Definately the night temp drop, if the leaves are a dark green then increased lighting may help also.

If cracking a window at night isn't an option, maybe move them to a colder room in the evenings and back out in the mornings.

Tell her good luck,

Bob

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 6:53AM
ashes_of_the_fire(6B)

If your plants are in a room with a bright window, try just closing the door and vents at night to keep some of the warmer air out. The daytime sun will give them a temperature increase and the nighttime fall should be enough without freezing them.

Also, make sure the shade isn't down or closed on the window, full sun won't hurt them where you are.

Bookmark   December 14, 2011 at 10:11AM
terrestrial_man(9)

The ones I grew years ago were grown in a shaded greenhouse. The only variable was the temps. Flowering was consistent.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 12:24AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

A shaded greenhouse can not be compared to a shaded location within a house. The light coming though a window is not near the intensity of what you experience in a structure where light comes from all directions.

I've done some measurements with a light meter and found if there isn't any direct sunshine coming through a window, you're probably talking 300 or so foot candles - maybe less - and that's a few inches from the grass. The more you move away from the window, the more the light intensity drops off.

That is not nearly enough light to bloom a phal.

Kevin

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 3:22PM
Quilthorse

I have a similar problem but I am here in Arizona. Light is not an issue with mine, but I cannot get the ones I have to rebloom. They go out on the patio when the weather's not too cold, and I bring them in at night. Suggestions?

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 6:00PM
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

There is some info. in this FAQ that might assist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phal blooming FAQ

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 7:07PM
More Discussions
Is this a spike?
I know what Phal spikes look like, but am new to these......
suzabanana (6b Boston)
my phalenopsis is dead or almost anythimg I can do
i hah a phal with air roots and regular roots. the...
ekkiemom
Short spikes? Causes?
I did get quite a few of my Phals to set spikes , but...
dakota01
Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?
I have Phals since grade six. In the last three years,...
jujujojo_gw
what other plants can you use kieke power pro on?
I brought this stuff and applied it to one of my orchids...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™