Help with ID of Trader Joe's NOID

karen451December 22, 2013

Hi there

Despite my resolutions to be strong, I succumbed this weekend to the urge to "rescue" a Trader Joe's orchid (Whitecat8: I really tried to resist, but what can I say I am weak). Can someone help ID it for me. The label just says Intergeneric oncidium. Apologies for the slightly blurry pic

Thanks in advance
Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob8_gw

I think it might be Sanderara Black Star 'Pacific Red Star'. Check out this link:
http://theorchidworks.com/varieties/R351%20Sand.%20Black%20Star%20'Pacific%20Red%20Star'.html

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 11:37AM
karen451

It does look a lot like it. Thanks v. much.
Now I am worried that I got something unsuitable for my growth conditions. I have got Oncidiums and Brassia's to rebloom on a South facing windowsill in Zone 7 and was hoping that, since it looked oncidium-like that it would be fine, but I dont think that my light level amounts to 3000 ft candles as the link you sent me recommends. Should I panic?

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:22PM
karen451

Also, it seems to be potted in what looks like regular potting mix rather than bark. Do I need to worry about the roots? Should I repot as soon as it finishes blooming or wait until spring. I want to transfer it to hydroton eventually

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 5:25PM
bob8_gw

Karen, if I were you I'd repot it after it finishes blooming into whatever works for you. I'll bet you can rebloom this under your current conditions if you rebloom other oncidium intergenerics. Remember, you can always place it outside slowly getting it used to the sun in the spring after all the frost is done. I have a greenhouse but take out my nobile dendrobiums to give them the extra burst of energy that the receive from being outside.

Bookmark   December 23, 2013 at 6:41PM
karen451

Sadly, living in an apartment as I do, I have no outside space to put it, but based on your advice I will remain optimistic. Many thanks.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 6:57AM
terpguy(7)

Karen I get the plight of an indoor grower. Have you though about a light cart?

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 10:29AM
karen451

I am trying to prevent the orchids and their toys and accessories from taking over my apartment. I have some under spot lights but I worry that a cart would tip the balance of power between me and the orchids over the edge ;-)

Bookmark   December 25, 2013 at 9:25AM
terpguy(7)

You'd be surprised! What I've learned is that having a cart strongly limits your space, if you are sensitive to the plants needs. Trying to fit that one more in, it makes things less optimal for other plants that get booted from prime spots. The overcrowdign also creates an issue where plants start shading each other out, which is bad indoors. If you are sensitive to this stuff, its actually a great management tool for your collection size.

Bookmark   December 26, 2013 at 11:15PM
More Discussions
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Laelia (Cattleya) Purpurata var anelata
My big purpurata blooms in May for me. It has one...
Boby Huffard
Need help with Phal
I bought a Phal at HD yesterday I was attracted to...
elizabethk1
Ice cubes explained
My neighbor who's an expert gardener said that 3 ice...
cooperdr_gw
Should I cut off this leaf?
This may have started from misting or too much light...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™