Is Miracle Gro for orchids any good?

bamboo_ca(z10 SoCA)December 30, 2008

I was given a bag of miracle gro for orchids not too long ago and I have a catt that I need to re-pot and I was wondering if I should use it? I was going to re-pot using an orchid mixture that indicates it is for catts. Will miracle gro do well with catts or any other orchids?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stitzelweller(Md)

I use Miracle Gro for tomatoes on my orchids. They love it!

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 8:22AM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

I've been using Miracle Gro, either the regular or the acid-loving plant type, on my orchids for at least 30 years. They love it.

Howard, I hadn't tried the tomato kind. What is the ratio?

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 8:32AM
bcfromfl(z8a NW FL)

I use the 7-7-7 Miracle Gro liquid concentrate for African violets. Comes in an 8-ounce bottle, and contains micros. About $2.50 at WalMart.

-Bruce

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 9:12AM
AMYQofU(z9 NorCal)

I thought OP was asking about the Miracle Grow potting mix, not the fertilizer.

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 11:10AM
stitzelweller(Md)

Carol, I use the Miracle Gro tomato formula during the peak sunlight hours of the year, 1 TABLESPOON/gallon, tap water. This concentration may appear to be excessive, but it works for me. I've tried weaker concentrations.

--Stitz--

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 11:14AM
cjwatson(Z8 FL)

Yes, it does look like the OP was asking about a potting mix instead. Got confused since my MiracleGro fertilizer comes in a bag also.

bamboo, if it's a nice open mix which would drain well, sounds like it would do fine with Catts.

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 12:24PM
smwboxer

I bought MiracleGro mix once and ended up throwing the whole bag out. It was way to fine for my liking. Might work good for masdies and the like but I would not use for catts, phals, oncid.,etc...

Bookmark   December 31, 2008 at 2:26PM
claire1_2008

I use the MiracleGro orchid mix for a few of my finer root terrestrial orchids but I would never use it on a Catt. It's way too fine for that. Bamboo_ca, look for med or large size orchid bark by any manufacturer for your Catt. Try to match the size bark to the size that it's currently planted in. It's sometimes call Phalanopsis Mix. It's easy to find in any big box store or garden center. Catt's need a lot of air circulation around their roots and they need to dry out between waterings or they get root rot. The bag of mix that you have doesn't allow for either. If you're like the rest of us you'll find other types of orchids that you can use the MiracleGro mix for. (I have at least 3 different types of orchid mix on hand and it is one of them.)

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 9:18AM
bamboo_ca(z10 SoCA)

Yeah I did suspect Miracle Gro would be too fine a mixture, in fact thats the main reason I made the post.

Thanks everyone.

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
Where to buy sphagnum moss?
Hi all, Where can I buy this for my orchid? I live...
ninjali
V. Kriangkrai yellow
Hi these is the first V. Kriangkrai yellow i have....
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl
It is show time!
Show season is in full swing. In my area I have noticed...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Phal yellowing.... bottom two leaves, interior roots, base of crown
I received this phal as a Valentine's Day present,...
kmaxxy
Habenaria radiata tubers/corms? picture
On the gallery side, I said I would post a picture...
aachenelf z5 Mpls
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™