Phal throwing babies????

alys_esmond(9b Orlando)December 20, 2011

Hey folks.

I will preface my post with the acknowledgement that I am probably the worst orchid owner on the planet. My one and only Phal can honestly be said to be neglected. He gets brought in the first time the budgies get pulled in for the night (temps forecast below 10C/50F) and goes back out to live on the ledge of my southwest-facing screened patio here in Orlando once the night temps are reliably above 50F again. He has reliably bloomed for me every winter, but also shows signs of sun-stress on the leaves and has been sporting a smear of paint for a few years now. I forget to water him more often than I remember. If he were a kid or a dog, authorities would probably take him away. But he flowers for me...

Here's my question: Do orchids branch? About six weeks ago I noticed a couple of off-shoots. My DH says they're babies, but they seem to be coming directly from the stalk of the plant in amongst the air roots. One is growing nice and strong, but the other is all caged in by the roots and one of its leaves is all wrinkled from impeded growth. Here's some pictures:

I don't want to mess with the plant right now cuz he's putting out a new spike, but once the flowers are spent, do I need to do something with this new growth?

Alys

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Sometime in the future when it is the best time of year you might need to take the babies away from Mum and tidy up the plant.

When is the best time of year?????

Some of those "Phals" have a Doritis lurking in the background as an ancestor. Doritis pulcherrima is one that readily makes basal keikis.

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 2:35PM
alys_esmond(9b Orlando)

I'd planned on a tidy-up once the latest flower stalk is spent.

Are there any references for removing them thar basal keikis? I can't really see how they are attached.

Bookmark   December 21, 2011 at 8:04PM
jane__ny(9-10)

You can cut them off using a razor blade or straight edge. Wait until the keiki has some roots then separate.

You can also leave them growing and they will eventually flower. Some phals throw basal kekis, some will develop kekis from the flower spike.

Bookmark   December 23, 2011 at 1:28AM
More Discussions
In bloom 27 months and counting...
Dendrobium Hialeah twist. (Spiker x canaliculatum)...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Newly potted bear root Brassia orchid spiking
Hi everyone, I bought this Brassia orchid bear root...
velleta tardiel
My Garden Orcs
Hi I wanted to share the heralding of Spring in the...
aztcqn
What's wrong with my phan?
Hi, I need some help with my orchid. This is what happened: The...
adelalis
The Office "Cursed Orchid"
At my old job that I left about two weeks ago, my boss...
Nicole
Sponsored Products
Mink Faux Fur Throw
Overstock.com
Quoit Set - 3 lbs. Quoits
Fifthroom.com
Trend Lab Bamboo Fish Wall Clock - 108178
$27.27 | Hayneedle
Authentic Models Bronzed 30 minute Hourglass On Stand
Classic Hostess
Ellery Gray 18 x 18 Solid Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Harlequin Design Feather Filled Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Educational Insights Dino Construction Company - Ankylosaurous Steam Roller Mult
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Jora White 18 x 18 Floral Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™