Opal Brunner pictures?

jacqueline9CAFebruary 7, 2012

Does anyone have pictures of an entire Opal Brunner bush? I planted two of them about 2 years ago. I agree with Vintage Gardens, who has classified this rose as a climbing polyantha, not a climbing floribunda. It blooms with small blooms in graceful clusters on flexible canes.

Both of mine were about 3-4 feet high until last Fall, when they started putting out climbing canes...Now one of them has a cane that is at least 12 feet long - it has migrated over to my Le Vesuve, which it is trying to use as a climbing structure. So, I when I noticed I ran to look at the other one - same thing. The second one is next to a fence, so I will train it horizontally on that. We ordered a large rose folly for the first one - it got here two days ago, and my DH painted it dark green (matches the nearby fence). I am hoping to train OB around it, because where it is there is not much space for it to go anywhere except up.

Most of the pictures I have been able to find are of one bloom or bloom cluster, so if anyone has a full bush/climbing picture, that would be great to see. Thanks -

jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseseek

Jackie, I don't know where the slides are of the plant, but I grew it as a free standing shrub in Newhall for many years. It got about four feet tall and spread easily six feet across. The shape was arching and it did support itself. Of course, it was in all day sun with fairly constant wind at the base of a slope in a water gap. It took planting it where it got less sun and where I could stake it to encourage it to climb. Kim

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 4:16PM
jacqueline9CA

Kim - thanks so much! I will try to train mine on their supports and see what happens. They are in sun, but with so many trees and houses around, they probably only get about 4 hours, which is probably why they have decided to climb to see if there is more available! Thanks again -

Jackie

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 10:58AM
roseseek

That's a good call, Jackie. They probably have taken this long to throw those longer canes as they produced the roots to support them. Many forget that elongation to reach into the light is often the cause for our roses growing much longer (taller) than expected. Put the same thing out in all day, direct sun and it often remains significantly shorter. Kim

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 11:36AM
More Discussions
No Rugosa/Alba/Bourbon/Cent/HPs Ever in SoCal?
Hi all, As the subject line shows, I'm as usual craving...
Sylvia Weiser Wendel
Finished At Last!
Just finished planting the last three roses today which...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Peach Silk
Seem to recall a thread about Peach Silk recently....
alameda/zone 8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™