canker

rinaldo(z7b AR)February 6, 2012

Will a healthy looking cutting from a rose with canker still be contaminated?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I don't think that's ever been studied.

I have seen papers about Downey Mildew being systemic in roses, even those that are asymptomatic.

I have in the past taken cuttings from a noisette that had a basal canker. The cane was a year old and I turned it into about nine four inch cuttings. The thinner ones didn't make it, but the pencil width cuttings did make good plants with no more proclivity to canker than the parent. So for that bush, it wasn't systemic.

If I were going to do it again, I'd toss the material two inches above the canker.

Right now, I'm seeing a lot of very early canker on my more modern roses. I think it's abnormally active this year because of the much warmer than ususal cold nights and the day times that are in the low 60s often enough to get the cankers jump started. I'm being especially picky with secateur cleanliness because I don't want to make a bad situation worse.

Bookmark   February 6, 2012 at 3:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

I would guess not, just leave good clearance above the canker as Ann says. You can take hardwood cuttings this time of year. Sometimes it works just to plant them in the garden with one bud eye exposed, not in full sun. See Kim's blog on "wrapping" hardwood cuttings, referred to in a thread on the Roses Forum.

Bookmark   February 7, 2012 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
Water Usage (Again) . . .
Well! I see that, at long last, the Los Angeles Times...
odinthor
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
new garden bed - mixing pink roses
The cool autumn nights are here, so I think it might...
Adam Harbeck
I'm back!
Couldn't get confirmed onto this new system so created...
cemeteryroseanita
I'm back!
Hello, friends! This is Robert from Virginia....formerly...
Robert zone 6 Cleveland
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™