Classic Rose Fragrance

ArbutusOmnedo 10/24March 8, 2014

Today I experienced the first fully open bloom on Sydonie and it was wonderful. The first whiff was exactly what I had in my mind for classic Damask fragrance. Just divine. It was almost like rose water. There aren't too many roses I've tried that I would say have that fragrance. Rose de Rescht is a bit fainter for me, but similar in quality.

What roses do you grow that best encapsulate that smell for you?

Jay

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Crimson Glory has what I think of as the classic rose scent, and very strong, too.

Jackie

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 9:54AM
mariannese

Several, if not all of the damasks I grow have that smell. Trigintipetala, Ispahan, La ville de Bruxelles, Madame Hardy among them.

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 12:40PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

To my regret I don't think I have a single rose that really qualifies. Reine de Violettes may but all I have is one closed bud on my baby rose. Belinda's Dream, Bishop's Castle, Aunt Margy's Rose, Young Lycidas and La France come closest, but are probably not spot on.

Ingrid

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 1:07PM
zjw727(Coastal Oregon Zone 8b)

Oklahoma! "Red HT" isn't really my idea of rose perfection, but I LOVE Oklahoma, largely because of the incredible fragrance. Rich, strong old-rose Damask scent, and the petals are like red-black velvet. Gorgeous!

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 5:28PM
kittymoonbeam

The only pure Damask that I can grow is Autumn Damask / Quatre Saisons. All the rest have a variation of it with other things mixed in. My favorite of the mixed damask fragrance is La Reine.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 3:00AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

For me, 'Centifolia' is as perfectly rosy as you can get, in scent, color, and form. I agree about Damasks and 'Oklahoma'; and there are a number of red HTs with strong Damask fragrance: 'Cl. Etoile de Hollande', 'Barcelona'/'Francis Dubreuil', and 'Mister Lincoln' come to mind.
Melissa

This post was edited by melissa_thefarm on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 12:51

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 12:54PM
rosefolly

I would agree with those who suggested Crimson Glory and Oklahoma for pure damask scent. And also actual damask roses, too, of course! But I think CG and Oklahoma may actually have the fragrance in a stronger form than the original damasks.

Folly

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 1:07PM
lavender_lass(4b)

Best rose fragrance....William Lobb moss rose. It's wonderful :)

Not my picture, but closest I could find to what my rose looked like last summer... From Lavender's Garden

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 2:51PM
lori_elf z6b MD

Mmm, I sure miss that scent and can't wait for rose season to arrive again.

I find that Ispahan is not very strong scented as far as Damasks go. Much stronger to me are Leda and some of the Portland damasks -- Marchessa Bocella/Jacques Cartier, Rose de Recht, Sydonie, Quatre Saisons, and Duchess de Rohan (VERY STRONG).

I agree that some of those red HTs are even more powerful -- Oklahoma, Crimson Glory, and Etoile de Hollande. Some of the older hybrid perpetuals are also very strongly old rose -- Mme Victor Verdier, Enfant de France, Baronne Prevost, Mrs. John Laing, etc. I don't grow many any more because of blackspot issues but loved their smell.

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 8:09PM
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

I would have to go with Barcelona/Frances Dubreuil for my nose, with Maggie coming in second. Both of those will curl my toes with what I consider classic rose scent.

Cynthia

Bookmark   March 11, 2014 at 9:20PM
NewGirlinNorCal(9b)

Hmm- classic "rose" smell like soap or sachets- Mme. Cecile Brunner and boy does that pack a scent wallop.

Rose smell like I think a rose "should" smell- Mr. Lincoln buds when they first open. It's a very "fine" smell to me, like an eyeliner brush, not as "broad" as the damasks or the Ceceil Brunner. (Boy, talking about scent is hard. I find myself saying the strangest things.)

My very subjective favorite though is my Mrs. Dudley Cross who, when I bring her inside, picks up a tropical white flower scent. Almost like ginger flowers or tuberrose. Not what I think of when I think of tea roses at all.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
HRG SEMINAR! May 2, San Juan Bautista, CA
By tomorrow, I hope to have this up on the Heritage...
jerijen
Tell me about the Noisette rose La Biche 1832
I obtained a beautiful 5 gal plant of the old Noisette...
fogrose
Sidewalk Flowers
by JonArno Lawson, illustrated by Sydney Smith I'm...
bellegallica9
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
Alana8aSC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™