Mme hardy

dregaeMarch 15, 2014

I have always liked this rose and would like to plant it this year, however the sizes on help me find are a bit vague. When looking at pictures it can be a restrained though tall or it can be a sprawling behemoth. Does anyone here have experience with this rose and it's growth habits?

Grace e

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catsrose(VA 6)

Size will depend somewhat on your climate, soil, etc. Giving her shade will help restrain the growth. But, she is one of the most beautiful roses in the world, so who cares.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 9:42AM
jacqueline9CA

Accd to HMF, this rose also is VERY resistant to blackspot, mildew, and rust (only a 0-5% infection rate).

I doubt that in your climate it would get too large.

This is one of the most beautiful roses in the world. I tried to grow it here, but it needs way more winter chill than we have, and languished. Your climate is perfect - what are you waiting for?

Jackie

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 2:54PM
ffff(Calif. 9)

It can develop into something like an Alba "tree", but if you're worried about that, you might consider Botzaris instead. It's at least as disease resistant in most settings, looks and smells quite similar, but stays fairly small.

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 3:44PM
dregae

You all are great! I didn't wait any longer, Mme hardy is now mine and will arrive at the end of the month thanks to all you enablers

Bookmark   March 16, 2014 at 12:26AM
zaphod42

I love her when she blooms, but she's had the worst crud the past two summers. I've been thinking about moving her somewhere that isn't quite so center-stage because of it. Anyone else have this problem with her consistently?

I've even considered a shovel prune its been so bad. Is this something that will continue or is it hit or miss depending on the year for her?

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 9:38AM
mad_gallica(zone 5 - eastern New York)

A lot of people consider Madam Hardy to have her own, special version of crud. Here, it is very consistent.

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 9:44AM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Hi, Grace. I've grown Madame in Portland and she was pretty darn healthy and gorgeous. I grow Botzaris now because my yard is tiny. I can't speak to your climate, but I would guess that Madam is definitely worth including in your OGR collection and, as I recall, you have the space to grow her. She can be pruned to shape and can be grown as a climber. Her blooms and fragrance are heavenly to my eyes and nose. Carol

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 7:35PM
organic_tosca(9/Sunset 14)

I've seen Mme. Hardy grown here in Sacramento, in a private garden, over a number of years, and it is beautiful beyond words. Also, it hasn't gotten HUGE, nor did I see any crud.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 6:08PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Above your head growth is typical.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 6:10PM
roseberri, z6(6)

Zaphod, I live in Central Ohio, and Madame Hardy is lovely in spring for me , she always gets the crud here usually in July. I do not spray my roses. She gets to about 6 feet here but we have had very mild winters and very hot summers until this past winter. I am not sure what she will be like this year!

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 9:31AM
tandaina(WA (8))

I grew Madame Hardy in Michigan (zone 5) and she did beautifully for me. Sure she got icky looking in late summer but since my roses were all planted in among lots of perennials it really didn't matter. And her blooms were so pretty and smelled so good I didn't care. She's on my list for the new garden.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 5:35PM
rosefolly

I don't think it gets all that big in California, probably because it wants more chill than it can get here. Or maybe it just hates alkaline soil. Mine languished for years and years, eventually having a lot of cane dieback. It was part of the 25% I removed from my collection. Many people love this rose, but in my case it was the wrong rose for this garden.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Well, well, well....I found the culprit!
For the past few years, I have blamed my wood mulch...
mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
giving up
most of my clippings and practically all of my past...
Campanula UK Z8
Please help me identify this rose?
This rose blooms only once a year in the spring. My...
linjon zone 5
Duchesse de Brabant: Evaluation and Photos
Accidentally put this on the "Roses Forum"...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™