Peach tree dead or hibernating?

ernie85017, zn 9, phxDecember 14, 2012

I found a peach tree at a good price (in the summer, too hot to plant). I have cared for it in its 3 gal pot and it continued to grow leaves this summer. When the days shortened the leaves fell and I figured it was going into dormancy. But the small branches coming off the trunk are dead, brown and brittle.

Do they do this when young and dormant? Or is it dead. I didn't want to cut part of the trunk to make sure, in case it is really OK.

I have a bad feeding it is dead. But why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

w/o a pic.. i dont know...

but i figure you are right on the dormancy issue ... it isnt an evergreen ...

and if so.. what more can you do besides wait and see how it leafs out ...

put it somewhere out of sight.. so you can stop breaking branches off ... lol .. somewhere where the black pot never... never ... is hit by sun ... we want those roots to stay dormant.. as long as the part above is ..

there are many other things i would do with a pot in MI ... but you aint MI ... so i would simply tell you to give it a little water now and then.. just to keep the soil a bit moist during dormancy .. insert finger and find out when that is ... dormant trees do not need all that much water ... but root rots do ... so go easy ...

and try to just forget about it.. until other trees start breaking dormancy.. and that is when we will find out.. what your result is ...

ken

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 3:47PM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Ernie,

You don't have to cut the trunk off to see if it's alive. Simply take a knife and scratch a small portion of the trunk to see if there is any green tissue under the bark. Do it down low. If there is not green tissue under the bark, the tree is dead.

In peach trees, it's not normal to loose twigs the way you describe unless the twigs are heavily shaded.

If it is dead, the problem was likely water management (too much, or too little). Most of the time it's too much water that does a peach in.

Bookmark   December 14, 2012 at 4:27PM
ernie85017, zn 9, phx

thanks!
I need to check it now, because when it breaks dormancy it is too late to plant it and expect it to thrive. I should have gotten it in the ground in October, but that didn't happen.

Bookmark   December 15, 2012 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
The legendary Angelcot tastes blah
For those of you who have not heard of angelcots, they...
Scott F Smith
Lime Sulphur spray--I feel like I was just robbed by Hi-yield
I have no idea why Hi-yield (or maybe it's the sellers)...
dave_7b
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™