Apple planting question.

Eric580December 18, 2012

Hello everyone. Does anyone know what season apple trees should be transplanted? And do they need male and female trees to produce fruit? Thanks:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

Apple trees can be planted anytime the ground is not frozen, fall, winter, spring. Planting in summer is about the only time that is NOT a good idea. They don't have separate male and female trees. Every flower has both male and female parts. However, most apple varieties do need to be cross-pollinated by a different variety, some even by two others (these are the triploids, of which there are quite a few). So, you'll want to make sure you have at least two if not three different varieties within about 500 feet of one another so that the local bees and insects can find them all for proper pollination. Otherwise, with just a single apple tree, you could have all the flowers in the world, but zero apples, or apples that don't develop properly.

Have fun planting your tree(s) and enjoying the fruits of labor.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 5:17PM
Eric580

Thank you for answering my question dmtaylor! My sister brought home some apple seeds from school a week ago. I think I'll plant them.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 7:06AM
olpea(zone 6 KS)

"most apple varieties do need to be cross-pollinated by a different variety, some even by two others (these are the triploids, of which there are quite a few)."

dmtaylor,

Triploid apples are self-sterile but only require one pollenizer to produce fruit.

As an aside, crab apples are generally an excellent pollenizer for apples (they bloom over a long time). Any ornamental crab apples in the neighborhood should take care of pollination (whether triploid or diploid apples).

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:55AM
alan haigh

Apple trees from seeds usually don't produce very good fruit and can take up to 10 years to fruit but it might be a fun project.

Bookmark   December 20, 2012 at 6:21AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™