flaming fury jumbo peach

grape-2006December 31, 2012

have any of you grown a flaming fury jumbo peach haow hardy are these peac trees? I know threre bred by paul friday in colma michigan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olpea(zone 6 KS)

Grape,

You are referring to the cultivar PF 24-007. I just planted it for the first time last spring so I don't have any first hand experience with it.

At one time 24-007 was the world record holder for the largest peach. I don't know if it still is. Any PF peaches with a 007 suffix have some 24-007 in the genetics (28-007, 35-007, etc.).

I know a commercial peach grower who grows it and doesn't like it much. He indicated it produces an unusually large percentage of split pits.

I wanted to try it myself, but only put in a couple trees because of his comments. The grower has his trees on drip and fertilizes heavily, both of which produce larger peaches contributing to split pits. I wanted to see if the cultivar produced the same problems without drip irrigation and fertilizer.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 6:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garedneck

I got mine from Stark Brothers a few years ago and had a couple peaches in 2011 and about a dozen in 2012. They were large(some up to 4" Diameter), symmetrical, nicely colored, firm, sweet, decent flavor... not as sweet or peach flavored like a Redhaven or July Elberta, but a decent peach. I sprayed copper in the winter, about 4 triacide sprays during production, but the biggest concern wasn't disease but squirrels so i used tulle draw string bags on each peach.

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Water and other issues with young peach tree
I have a peach tree that was transplanted last spring...
sheckylovejoy
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Haskap or Honeyberry?
I am in zone 6 in southern Illinois, so I get extreme...
flowerchild59
Sponsored Products
Instruments Jumbo Magnet Clip Photo Holder Set
$29.99 | zulily
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Cape Cod Plug-In Outdoor White Post Lant
Home Depot
Darya Rugs Arts and Crafts, Peach, 9'0" x 11'9" M1746-126
Darya Rugs
Twist 196 Dining Chair
| Italy Design
7" High Dual-Purpose Fire Ring w/ Grate
Fifthroom.com
Chocolate Popcorn Pail Gift Tin
$50.00 | FRONTGATE
Peach Bamboo Trellis Giclee CFL Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Home Decorators Area Rug: Imperial Peach 8' x 11' Shape