Spring color combo

jacqueline9CAMarch 18, 2014

These (hybrid gigantica Belle Portugaise and banksia lutea) are two of my earliest blooming roses (the others are Safrano and Mme Joseph Schwartz and Duchesse de Brabant). They both grow on our house right next to each other. Although the bush and flower form couldn't be more different, I love how the colors are both very soft. I think they go together well. Took this pic yesterday - March 17th!

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nikthegreek(9b/10a E of Athens)

Love them both and both are on my list. I'm jealous!
Nik

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:43PM
Campanula UK Z8

must be the Cali light because pink and yellow, under glowering English skies is a vile combo - certainly doesn't have that bright punch yours have, Jacqueline. I still bitterly regret the placing of Madame Gregoire next to Graham Thomas - at present, it is a lovely show because they both possess that matte pale green fresh foliage....but later, I will be fed up again despite the attempt to mitigate the shock with lots of blue.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 1:02PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Those two are absolutely gorgeous and oh, so romantic looking, Jackie. I think pink and yellow are beautiful together, if the colors are on the soft side. Diane

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:02PM
seil zone 6b MI

Beautiful, Jackie! I like when roses grow together like that.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 6:48PM
catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14

I agree, Jackie, each color is relatively soft and so a pleasing view. I love Belle Portugaise (the leaves alone are elegant) and am still mourning the death a few years ago of the one I used to ogle on Claremont Ave. in Berkeley whenever I went by (where there was also a mature Michaelia doltsopa just across the street; what abundance of riches!) -- sadly, no room for Belle here at this point.

Same thing would happen with color in Massachusetts, Camps, and I couldn't abide pink and yellow together while living there. In the intense sun of non-coastal California, though, the pastel combos that were most pleasing in MA seem to wash out and register as "white" and "more white" by the middle of the day. Flamboyant colors and combos I thought garish in MA look better here, I think. (Love, love those bright oranges with dark purple, red, hot pink, and yellow -- whoo-hoo!)

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 6:51PM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Thank you for the photo, Jackie. I haven't seen a Belle P since I lived in TX. Both Belle P and Lady Banks grew well there, too. I can't say I ever saw them grown together, though. The effect is magical! Maybe some of our TX rose gardeners can take advantage of your stroke of genius. Carol

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 7:12PM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

Really beautiful, Jackie. The contrast in size and color makes for a wonderful combination.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 12:57AM
Mendocino_Rose(z8 N CA.)

Beautiful! Mine live near each other too.

Bookmark   March 19, 2014 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
The Joys of Pre-Spring
Sorry that I can't address this to you unfortunates...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
RdV cane hardiness & shade tolerance?
I was wondering if anyone grows Reine des Violettes...
true_blue
Snow pictures
I'm not sure how many inches we got last night but...
erasmus_gw
close cousins of Belinda's Dream?
BD looks like a great landcaping/cutting rose, but...
Adam Harbeck
Any ID ideas on this old Sonoma Mission rose?
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™