Black strawberry seeds

tony469(modesto zone 9)December 16, 2013

Has anyone grown these?i couldn't help my self and ordered some.after yes after I tried researching and could not find any real info.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Let us know how it goes. Strawberry seeds can be tricky to germinate. Usually only wild ones come true to seed. So not sure you can actually grow these if hybrids?

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 9:42AM
itheweatherman

They are probably over exaggerating the new âÂÂpurple wonder strawberryâ variety. Yes, it is darker in color but not black as depicted on the ad.
New Breed of Strawberry Is Deep Purple
http://www.livescience.com/18805-strawberry-breed-purple.html

Purple Strawberries
http://strawberryplants.org/2012/05/purple-strawberries/

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 2:14PM
sf_rhino

This subject of black or whatever strawberries seems to come up every couple of months. I still haven't heard anyone report back on whether or not they got any to fruit/what they look like. Even the reviews I see for these on websites are always "I hope they are black when they fruit".... I'm skeptical.

Please keep us posted, even if you can't get them to sprout!

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 2:35PM
tony469(modesto zone 9)

Going to give it a shot..I kinda figured they are fake or kind of like black tomatoes..but I like a challenge..thank you
for the responses

Bookmark   December 17, 2013 at 6:23PM
Edymnion(7a)

I'd love to grow some black strawberries, but like the rest of you I'm highly skeptical, as I can only ever find the same two pictures of the things and they set off my photoshop sense something awful. I find people referencing black strawberries being used in London, but I can't find anything to actually back that up (you know, like restaurants in London saying they serve them).

I'm rather disappointed the GMO blue strawberries were a hoax, I would have bought those in a heartbeat. I see "african blue strawberries" on ebay, but those are even fishier than the blacks.

Bookmark   January 1, 2014 at 5:16PM
Edymnion(7a)

Welp, I gave in and bought two packs of those clearly photoshopped black strawberry seeds. No telling what they'll actually be when they fruit, but I figure $2 a pop is worth it for a bit of mystery.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 9:22AM
lspjacky

I too bought "black" strawberry seeds. I started germinating them four days ago and one seed finally has roots (x.x). I've never planted anything in my life so only time will tell...

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 2:05AM
berry_bob

yea that's what I need more seeds to play with ;)

Bookmark   March 8, 2014 at 12:01PM
dchu

tony469: Black tomatoes are for real! Not the reddish-brown ones they've been calling "purple"or "black" (e.g. Purple Cherokee, Black Krim). These varieties were released by OSU Corvallis a few years ago, and the most widely available one is called "Indigo Rose". They're a dark purply-black--similar to the color of nightshade berries--except where the skin is out of direct sunlight, where it has a red spot (like the yellow spot on the underside of a watermelon). The inside is red. Mine were pretty tasty, especially considering I'm in marginal tomato country. They were saladette sized, about 50% bigger than a large cherry tomato.

Oh, and I would love to hear more about the black strawberries!

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™