best size/material for fruit tree containers?

Addie18December 29, 2012

I have ordered several naturally small-size fruit trees on medium vigor rootstock to espalier along my back fence. I was originally going to plant these in the ground, but long story short, I need to put them in containers now. What size container should I use? If all my dreams came true, these trees would grow relatively fast to their full size (which is small,) and would not need to be repotted since this would be a real pain given the communal trellis I have planned. Do the containers need to be extra huge and if so how huge?

Also, should I be concerned about toxicity of tree containers? For instance, if I get cheap pottery containers, could lead from the pottery into the fruit?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My experience is that most trees only last 4-5 years in 12-15 gallon containers. By then they are so rootbound that vigor drops off the chart. I'm not sure how much longer a bigger container would last. And I'd not want to repot an espalier of any size. My guess is that 6-10 years is all you're going to get without repotting even a big container.

Personally I won't worry about anything from the container material ending up in my fruit. Not like I would drinking an acid drink from the same material. But if I really thought it had lead I'd use a black polypropylene nursery pot inside the decorative one.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™