Dormant oil spray for grape vines

fespoDecember 6, 2010

Hello all, I have about 20 grape vines growing in my back yard. Last summer I started to see little cut marks on new vine growth. I looked it up and it said to use dormant oil spray. So when do you spray grapes with dormant oil spray? Early spring, now, right before buds? Thanks Frank

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Frank:

Can you share what you found as your suspected problem? I've never sprayed grapes with dormant oil. Most of the vines you'd spray now end up being pruned off. So if I were to spray it would be right after pruning next spring. I usually prune just as the buds are starting to swell in spring.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 6:17PM
kokos(6a)

I only use a good quality Copper Spray.

Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 6:35PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

I put a copper spray on my grapes this fall. Mostly because it was already mixed up and going onto the peaches. That's for fungus and fungus doesn't give little cut marks.

I do a dormant oil spray on the grapes in the spring. I don't worry about pruning the sprayed branches off because the dormant oil is really cheap. But you could prune first and then spray, as long as the unsprayed trimmings were removed from the property immediately.

I like to dormant spray before the grapes wake up and I don't prune until the first buds at the end of the branches start to show color.

What is it that you think is giving the little cut marks?

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 2:57PM
fespo

Hello all, I don't know what little bug is cutting my grape vines but I did see a piture and name on a wine site I read.

http://www.winepress.us/forums/index.php?showforum=9

I will try to find it and post it. Someone had the same problem and they said to use dormant oil spray. Thanks

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Crabapple tree with large apples - which one?
Hello all, When my son was stationed in Newport RI...
dancinglemons
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™