Sour Cherries on Krymsk?

jagchaser(5A NE, -15-115f may frost)December 1, 2013

Anyone have any experience with them?

I have really windy conditions with extreme temp swings here. Im looking for something that will dwarf more than mahaleb will, but I cant find any info on krymsk on sour cherries on sweet cherries.

I grafted a handful of Montmorency onto krymsk 5 this spring and they grew wonderfully. I just worry that I may regret going hog wild with more of those until I see how they handle the conditions here long term. We will see how the winter treats them I guess.

They did outgrow the monts on mahaleb by quite abit. My monts on mahaleb outgrew my balaton on mahaleb by a lot! I worry that my handful of balatons was a waste of time. Hopefully I will be surprised.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Krymsk 5 may be incompatible with some sour cherries, it was mainly tested on sweets. But, my guess is you will be fine. The downside is its not really a dwarf stock, its rated 90% size vs mazzard. Gisela 5 is the only commonly available cherry stock with significant dwarfing, and even it is more like semi-dwarf if you line it up against the apple rootstock nomenclature.

I found Krymsk 1 to be quite dwarfing, but its for peaches plums and apricots. Since it is a bush cherry it might in fact work on some cherries.

Scott

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™