Apricot disease prevention

Central_Valley(9)December 14, 2013

I have three apricot trees which produced a ton of fruit this year, after several years of producing none at all. Previously the fruit withered before it ripened, and the leaves curled and fell off.

I'm now motivated to give the trees better care so that they'll stay healthy.

I don't know exactly what the trees' problem was, but all of the possibilities I found were fungal, and I learned that one important precaution is to rake up the fallen leaves around the tree. Due to the odd conditions in our yard, I need to know more about this to figure out whether it's a 20 minute job (which I've done) or an all-day project.

When I rake up the leaves "around the tree," how far from the trunk must I go?

All three trees are planted next to the bottom of a concrete retaining wall about a foot high. The tree side was easy to clear. On the other side is a chain link fence with a hedge in front of it. To get the leaves on that side I'd have to crawl under the hedge!

One of the trees is a couple of feet from our property line, again next to a fence. Clearing the leaves on the other side would require negotiating with a neighbor whom we don't even know how to contact. Further clearing in that case is probably out of the question.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Will one of those leaf blowers that can be reversed to suck the leaves into a bag work?With an extension,maybe the tip could be poked through the hedge and other difficult to reach places. Brady

Bookmark   December 14, 2013 at 11:55PM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™