Best pollinizers for Dapple Dandy and Emerald Drop.

lyonsy(10 CA)December 9, 2012

Hello,

I have a Dapple Dandy and Emerald Drop pluot for three years and they bear very little fruit. I live in Southern CA. I also have a Santa Rosa , Late Santa Rosa, Weeping Santa Rosa, Satsuma and Burgundy plum...plus 3 large bee hives! Today I bought a Methley plum and was told it's flowering time should do the trick. Any thought? Many thanks. John.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

John:

What you already have should provide plenty of pollen. Both DD and ED set a lot of fruit for me every year. In fact I always end up thinning each at least three times. So if they are blooming at the same time as the others, they should both set fruit. Methley can't hurt but seems unlikely to turn the tide unless it's a bloom overlap issue.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 18:33

Bookmark   December 9, 2012 at 8:35PM
charlieboring

If these are early bloomers your best bet is to use mason bees. Try to attract tham by buiding a mason bee house. It works in Virginia.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 2:48PM
lyonsy(10 CA)

Thanks for the answers. I have tried the mason bees before I had hives and they never seemed to settle here. However my bees will fly year round assuming the temps get up to 55 degrees, and it is that routinely here in our so called 'winter'. I will plant the Methley and it supposedly flowers early and we will see if that helps.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 5:33PM
charlieboring

Often fruit trees bloom when the cool weather restricts the work of honey bees. You need to use mason bees. A mason bee is a solitary bee that lays its eggs in holes about 5/16 in in diameter. It is easy to encourage mason bees to pick your place as a home. Build a mason bee house (search the internet) and hang it up facing south or south east. Mason bees polinate 20 times more than honey bees and do not sting unless caught. They start work earlier in the spring than honey bees and begin work when it is still cool and wet. I put up a mason bee house last March and it is now full of mason bee larva.

Bookmark   December 12, 2012 at 6:25AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™