Planting blueberry bushes in the middle of winter

dirtaddshpDecember 3, 2013

Hello all,

I got some blueberry bushes this month and i have been keeping them by a window, but they do not seem very happy there. Can i plant them in the middle of winter, or will that more than likely kill them?

I am in Northern Georgia Zone 7/8

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

As long as the ground is workable, by all means plant them.

Bookmark   December 3, 2013 at 10:16PM
ROFLwTIME(7a)

They should be fine if you plant them now. I planted mine around December 1st last year with no problems. I put a lot of pine bark mulch to cover them up though.

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 8:20AM
ahgrower Horne

Hi Dirtaddshp,
Yes, as all the others said before me, it is okay to plant it now. We are going to have some very spring like weather this week and the ground is workable. I just bought an Elberta Peach tree from the Home Depot and the only reason I bought it at this time of the year was because it was on sale and too good to pass up. It was just $5.00 bucks and in great shape. (Never mind the fact that I already have 2 other Elberta Peach trees! LOL) These trees produce wonderfully for me and I have no problems with them. I said all that to say that I will be planting that tree this Saturday and transferring another fruit tree in my small orchard. You should not have a problem at all planting your blueberry bush. Happy planting!

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 9:40AM
ericwi

Our blueberry shrubs are all dormant now, and completely free of leaves. I live in Madison, Wisconsin, and we have had several hard frosts with more cold weather expected in a day or two. But your shrubs are leafed out, I expect, as you are in Georgia. I think they will do better in the ground and perk up when you transplant them. To reduce stress, the shrub should be watered well before transplant, and the transplant should be done in overcast weather, if possible. If you have to transplant in sunny weather, then do it late in the day, when the sun is low. The idea is to keep sunlight off the leaves. When the leaves are in direct sun, they demand both water and nutrient from the roots. However, the roots are disturbed during transplant, and they do not work at 100%, so the plant is stressed, and the leaves will show this with brown edges and possibly a totally brown and dead leaf if the stress is severe. This is not an issue when the shrub is dormant, and that is why trees and shrubs are usually transplanted when they are dormant.

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:26AM
dirtaddshp

Ah okay thank you for all the feedback, i hope to have many berries in a couple years :-D

Bookmark   December 5, 2013 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
can anyone know what kind of this tree is?
Recently I found a tree at my backyard got a lot of...
Athena Lu
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™