New Potted Mulberry Breaking Dormancy

shazaam(NC 7B)December 27, 2012

I bought a small Shangri La mulberry from Edible Landscaping last month. It's still in the quart pot in which it arrived -- I'd planned to move it to a larger pot in early spring. In the meantime, I've been keeping it outside except on nights when temps dip below 30 or so. Apparently, though, I've inadvertently woken it up, because the leaf buds are breaking open and greening up. Is there any chance that I can slow or stop the process by moving it under my house, where it's very dark and the temp stays in the 40s and 50s?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

40s and 50s will slow but not stop growth. To stop growth you'd need low 30s. After it leafs out it will be pretty freeze sensitive.

Bookmark   December 27, 2012 at 11:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barnhardt9999(8a)

You could just bring it into the house near a south facing window for them winter. Its not going to fruit for several years so the period of dormantcy isn't important yet anyways.

One a side note, I've found that to be a tough tree to grow in NC. The deer go for its leaves before anything else. Mine are down to their roots and if I can get them started again, I plan to leave them in pots on the screened porch until I can train them to a single stem about 5ft tall. Once they clear the deer's reach I'll put them back in ground.

Bookmark   December 28, 2012 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
What is wrong with my Blueberry plant?
Hi, My blueberry (rabbiteye) plant seems to have developed...
bopwinter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™