Pollination of loquat

va_canuck(8A)December 9, 2010

I have a 10-foot tall loquat tree which is planted in the ground and contained within a greenhouse in my yard. It is flowering for the first time!

I have read loquats require pollination by bees. If so, I may have a problem, as there are no bees in my greenhouse.

Am I going to get fruit? Or do I need to go to bees-r-us.com?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jekyll(New Zealand)

It will probably depend on two things:
1) whether your variety is self-fertile or not, because some loquats require another variety to pollinate them

2) whether you have other insects that might do the job. I have adequate pollination in my garden without honeybees, because I have lots of bumblebees and various types of fly.

If you don't have pollinating insects at all, you may want to try brushing pollen around the flowers with a paintbrush.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 5:26AM
creekweb(6,7)

I don't have first hand experience with this technique to say how successful it is, but if paintbrush pollination blossum by blossom is not a method you would consider, then you might try giving the tree a good shake every few days to simulate wind pollination.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 11:11AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Any hummingbirds? Those go for them in Seattle. There is a California species that has extended its range northward, is present during winter when the loquat trees bloom.

If there is ever a time when the greenhouse is being opened up for ventilation at the same time the tree is in bloom - and pollinators are present - these are likely to let themselves in.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 12:39PM
va_canuck(8A)

There won't be any ventilation times any time soon. We are in consistent 38 day/18 night conditions.

There are fruit flies in the greenhouse but that's about it.

No hummingbirds in the greenhouse.

Bookmark   December 10, 2010 at 5:02PM
bonsaist(Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa)

I had two big ones in the greenhouse that I pollinated by hand and I got a big crop. Use a paint brush and move from one flower to the next.

Bass

Bookmark   December 11, 2010 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™