Prime-Jan Blackberry in my location?

steve333_gwDecember 30, 2012

I would like to try a blackberry in my rather harsh environment (CO mountains, zone 5a usually, and quite windy) and was thinking of trying some Prime-Jan plants next spring. They are supposed to be a primocane variety and will fruit on new canes (which is about the only way I usually get berries) and I thought they might work here. But I'd rather not waste time, money and effort on something that will never produce for me.

What do folks think? Any chance of blackberries here from this variety? (I am having some success with the spring bearing primocane raspberries FWIW).

TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Prime-Jan Blackberry they produce only once year in your zone they need longer growing season to bear twice in one year you make with Prime-Jan Blackberry on flora canes to fruit. There variety out that new I haven't look into its Prime O Fruiting blackberry. Prime ARK 45 what called in north you mow down canes in fall after fruiting this make act like everbearing raspberry I don't no any nursery that sell these other than Pense in Arkansas there phone/fax number 479.369.2007 you may google Prime ARK 45 find others.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 1:50AM
brookw_gw

FWIW, Prime Jim and Jan have been the worst blackberries I've owned. Then again, none of the Arkansas series has performed well in my area. They have neither been flavorful nor productive. I like their upright habit, but their canes have been sparse and brittle despite their thick size. Frankly, I don't like their thorns either. They also didn't double crop as they were touted to do.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 10:44AM
melikeeatplants

Confirmed nasty thorns, just okay berries. I have Jim/Jan/Ark. Wish I had just put all thorn less varieties, maybe I'll eventually switch them out. Nice upright growth habit though...

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 12:19PM
ABz5b

If your looking for upright growth and don't mind thorns Chickasaw has performed very well for me. Very productive large berries.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:36PM
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

Steve,

I don't have experience yet with blackberries but I would like to throw out a thought. My experience comes from figs, Chicago Hardy to be exact. I had the same rational when I bought my figs thinking that if it produces on new wood I would get a crop. Unfortunately the new wood does not mature and produce quickly enough in our area. I have gotten some figs to form but never to ripen. This year I have one fig planted outside close to the foundation and well protected, and several in my garage in a tiny space with a heater connected to an outlet that will turn on at 37F. I hope to get some figs this year some how.

I too would like to try blackberries but have decided since they won't survive without protection I might as well protect them and try to get a harvest on the old wood since I know I will not get a harvest on new wood. I ordered Siskiyou as an early ripening type knowing it will have to be protected. It's just an experiment and I wish I could give you some results but I don't have any yet.

Bookmark   January 26, 2013 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™