Belmont Yellow

roseseekMarch 11, 2012

Has anyone grown or studied Belmont Yellow, the yellow found poly? There is a real lack of any botanical information about it and I'd love to determine how it compares to Schmidt's Smooth Yellow. Any information possible would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Belmont Yellow

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I've grown Belmont Yellow for several years. (More than six) I had one single bloom sport to a single, and that didn't happen again on that cane.

It does have thorns, and because it's a low grower they are hard to see (but easy to feel).

The foliage is clean and smooth, but then PM isn't a problem in my garden.

In a Lovett catalog at the US Dept of Agriculture library, I found a picture and description that resemble Belmont Yellow slightly. (Lovett was not just the Father of the three Lovett sisters for whom Van Fleet named roses, Lovett was Van Fleet's neighbor) My copy of that part of the page is blurred, as no photocopying is allowed and only digital cameras without flash are allowed.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 12:59AM
roseseek

Thank you Ann! I'm familiar with the Lovetts and Van Fleet. Might you remember the name of the rose in the Lovett catalog which resembled Belmont? That might give a good place to start. Also, what color is the new growth spring through summer, please? Do you notice a lot of red tones to the wood or does it remain green? Thank you! Kim

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 1:45AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

I'll keep looking for the digitals I took up in Beltsville.

New growth this year is a red edge to the leaves, but the leaves themselves are not at all red, even at their smallest. The red edge (were it permanent) could almost be called picotee. The leaves don't keep the red edge very long, and the red becomes the green that's in the HMF photos.

Buds open with sepals bending back and exposing a refined light yellow that is more like clotted or heavy cream. Really a great shade of yellow that I wish more roses had. As the petals open, the cream becomes white with the faintest cream backstory.

The canes and stems have never been especially red, even as basal breaks.

I think BY grows best with a fairly constant source of water and moderate fertilizer. I don't see it getting tall, but being a front of the border rose of the most desirable character.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 7:32PM
roseseek

Wonderful Ann, thank you! This helps greatly. Kim

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 9:36PM
hartwood

Once I extricate my Belmont Yellow from the grips of neglect in the rose field, I will let you know how it does this year. It's alive, I know that for sure, but it's very small still.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 4:02PM
More Discussions
Thoughts on pruning? I'd love to see photos of your roses post-prune!
Hi all, I am gearing up for my first major pruning...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
I'm addicted to white roses , what is your addiction?
And I can't seem to stop wanting those I find ! I love...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
David Austin Backlash... Well post your FAV Austin Pic here.
There seems to be some recent backlash on austin roses,...
silverkelt
Are There Any Roses You Regret Buying?
I've already discarded many dozens so I'd better not...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™