Very large stepping stones on grass for small patio?

jenn(SoCal 9/19)April 16, 2004

Are there any problems involved with laying very large square stepping stones right on top of grass to create an instant patio? The stones I'm talking about are 2-3 feet wide. We're wondering if there would be problems with just laying them on top of the grass and let the grass grow up in between.

This is a lot simpler than removing the grass, removing soil, adding layers of gravel and sand, etc. This small patio area would be about 10x10 feet, just enough for a small redwood patio table w/benches.

We have a little frost in winter but not in this spot in the garden.

Thanks,

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pcj42(NC)

We just did a sidewalk this way, so I hope there isn't any problems. The only thing I know to worry about is having the stones low enough so the lawn mower can pass over without the blades hitting the rocks. I filled in the cracks between the stones with dirt and then threw out some grass seed. Now I am only wondering if maybe I should kill the grass and plant a low growing ground cover.

Bookmark   April 16, 2004 at 9:48PM
AshaK(8)

it all depends upon how finished a patio you like...
just laid right on the grass, the stone will sink and become uneven like the ground... an inch or two here, two or three there. As the organic matter beneath the stones decomposes, the stones will sink a little further.

Bookmark   April 17, 2004 at 9:07PM
AbbeysDad(z5 CNY)

It would seem best to prepare the site by digging it out, adding gravel and/or rock dust base...but then you do have the SOCA 'advantage'... assuming the site is level, go ahead and try just laying them out on top (athough you'll get a more finished look if you fill the cracks with sand or earth)...
Keep a watch over it all and if you see surface areas becoming unlevel, you can always pull the stones and redo it.

So when will the first party be?

Bookmark   April 25, 2004 at 9:11AM
bambooo(6 CT USA)

As the organic content of the first foot or so of soil are consumed by soil organisms the spot will settle a bit.
In the long run removing the topsoil to use in other parts of the garden and compacting the base and then setting your stones on sand or stone dust will give longer lasting results.

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 10:29AM
happyplanter(z5 MI)

I used the large 2'x2' patio blocks to put a very small(6'x4') "patio" under my swing that sits by the pond. i just laid down some black plastic and plunked the pavers on top...leveling wasn't an issue with a space this small and the ground was alreay fairly level. It has been in place for 4 years now, no sinking, etc. If i was rich i would love to a larger patio this way, right now i am putting in a fire pit and i want seating all around it, the budget calls for cheap to free so I gathered up all my rocks(just ones from out of the field) and am diggin up the sod, laying the rock in and then moving on to the next spot, the grass is my "mortar". I plan on planting some of the gaps and weed whacking the whole thing when needed. I almost didn't do it but i have a section about 8'x6' done in very little time, very little work and it looks good.

Bookmark   June 1, 2004 at 1:15AM
gardenymph(z6 Va)

happyplanter, I would love to see some pictures of what you are working on, can you post some?
Thanks,
Jennifer

Bookmark   June 6, 2004 at 9:30PM
happyplanter(z5 MI)

Hi Jennifer, just checked back on this thread, i will try to get some pics tomorrow and post them. It is a work in progress though, :)

Bookmark   June 7, 2004 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
protecting pavers
Hi everybody, I am new here so I hope I am in the right...
jumeda33
can't garden anymore, need suggestions
I have approx 6 x 8 ft area of Jerusalem artichokes...
carol0512
Shaling Flagstone?
I think that's the term. All you Gurus of Stone, what...
CEFreeman
Best way to clean flagstone patio
Hi, What is the best way to clean flagstones? So far...
bike2work
x-post: Making slate-look pieces.
stepping stones? I'm not sure what to call them! But...
CEFreeman
Sponsored Products
64" Treated Pine Crossback Swingbed
Fifthroom.com
Elena Vesper Fog Outdoor Sofa
$2,885.00 | Horchow
Palisades 4 Piece Outdoor Patio Daybed in Espresso White
$1,569.00 | LexMod
DENY Designs Barbara Sherman My Shoes Outdoor Throw Pillow - 12609-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Recife Checkered Field Natural Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$99.00 | Bellacor