Should I seal Bluestone...and with what?

flyingflower(San Francisco Bay Area (CA))April 9, 2007

I just had my patio resurfaced with Connecticut Bluestone tile. This is where we plan on placing the BBQ. Should I seal this natural stone? With what product? I'm worrying about grease from the food prep area ruining the stone. Would it be permanent or disappear over time?

I've been looking at stone sealers. Glaze-N-Seal makes a product that will repel grease but it's a surface sealer and will leave a gloss. I dont want any gloss, it darkens the stone so much it starts to look like slate (I tested a sample). So I much prefer a penetrating sealer. But Glaze-N-Seal's penetrating sealer will only repel water-based substances (I guess since it is water based itself). I didn't see any oil based sealer in this line.

Should I go with the penetrating sealer, will that at least keep grape juice from staining this light grey tile? Or just scrap the idea altogether and wait for a problem to occur and then worry about how to clean it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robin303(8b Tx)

I never sealed rock but if you do just go to Homer and get a sealer for regular Satillo tile. I would maybe presure wash it once a year if it was mine.

Bookmark   April 16, 2007 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Laying Patio Pavers with sand base only?
I am planning to do three different patios. One is...
ajbaab
Patio grading
I am having a contractor build a patio for us (14'x12'). Till...
rbaustin
Using polymeric sand with interlocking pavers
We're putting in some interlocking pavers for patio...
sheckylovejoy
Shaling Flagstone?
I think that's the term. All you Gurus of Stone, what...
CEFreeman
Landscape Fabric for erosion control
Hello all~ Quick question about using landscape fabric...
acdacd
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™