Holy boulders Batman! What size equipment to move them?

bindersbee(6a UT)May 11, 2007

So, I had a full 18 wheeler load of beautiful sandstone boulders delievered to my naked yard today. They are the beautiful red/orange color of our gorgeous Southern Utah red rock country and I do love them. When they asked me what size rock I wanted, I told them big enough for a 7 year old boy to have fun climbing on. They took me very seriously! My largest boulders are about 6 feet wide by 4 feet tall. Most of them are in the 5 feet wide by 2-3 feet tall range. I also have some smaller ones.

I don't think the skid steer the excavation guys are bringing tomorrow will be big enough to move them. I have a relatively flat lot- the boulders aren't being used for retaining, they are purely decorative. Gotta love no maintenance landscaping! Do you think the skid steer can push these babies around? We have no lawn until AFTER we get the rocks in place so they don't have to lift them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

They'll probably be able to push them, but I doubt they would be able to lift them. Good luck and let us know how it goes! (I LOVE big boulders.)

Bookmark   May 12, 2007 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bindersbee(6a UT)

They were able to tumble them into place. Thank goodness. I'll bet it would have cost me some serious bucks to have a front end loader out. They look really big but once I get some trees and shrubs in the back and some nice perennials in front- they'll look just right.

Now, we just have to get the sod down and it will all start coming together.

Bookmark   May 17, 2007 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Curing colored stepping stones
I created a stepping stone pathway made out of concrete....
mswoodtchr
New NH Paver Patio
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for some time and...
TB151
Should blue stone be sealed?
We dry laid blue stone in our back patio. I'm trying...
Kathy Silverman
Laying Patio Pavers with sand base only?
I am planning to do three different patios. One is...
ajbaab
Suggestions?
Suggestions for Rock Garden that is Shaded, Wet Spot...
mamabear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™