Stamped concrete on top of existing concrete patio

scottinkcMay 22, 2005

Hello,

Have an existing patio and have been toying with various ideas - flagstone on top is the current leader, but had a question about concrete on top of the existing patio that would then be stamped and stained. The existing patio is free of cracks, so the main question that I have is how thick would the new concrete have to be?

Thanks for your input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paws4pets

If the current patio is in good shape how about acid stain. You could draw the flagstone shapes, stain each one a different shade. Acid Stain sounds nasty but gives quite a nice look. Just be sure and read the instructions first.
Paws

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 1:32AM
Carol_Ann(5)

Some friends of mine back in IN did what you're suggesting and love it. They had their concrete entryway done over with the overlay to look like brick and it's incredible.

We have an old concrete patio that we're going to redo (one of these years) in the overlay, using a stone finish. We thought about putting a layer of decking on but the look doesn't match our yard and it's too thick. The overlay is not very thick -- I don't remember specs but I can't imagine it would be much thicker than flagstone. We only have a few inches clearance between our current patio and the door sill and that's plenty of room for the new surface.

I've seen samples of the product and it looks incredible, and care is supposed to be a dream. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any bad experiences with this. See link for photos but I can assure you the finished product looks much better than the photos can show. In case you can't tell, I'm hooked on this idea :)

Here is a link that might be useful: concrete overlay

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 9:06AM
mebarry117

I would ask an experienced contractor in your zone about wwhat would work. I would be concerned in colder winter areas that the new top layer might crack on you.

Bookmark   June 22, 2005 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Will small stones keep weeds out????
Not sure this is the right forum to ask this, but here...
nanaclaire
River rock composition
I'd like to build an assembly (for lack of a better...
maurodiroma
dry stacked retaining wall
I have been researching on how to build a dry stacked...
tortugo
Millstones/Grindstones
We have about seven millstones that someone is interested...
djtcl5
Should blue stone be sealed?
We dry laid blue stone in our back patio. I'm trying...
Kathy Silverman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™