Sealing Bluestone - Exterior Steps

tammyct(CT Shoreline)August 19, 2007

We just had our front steps redone and our mason wasn't up on the lastest sealers (he's relatively new in the business) so I wanted to consult here on the forum. Our mason went over our existing pre-cast steps with granite and I had our local stone yard cut the bluestone for the landing. I also had them put a rock face on the edges. We are really pleased with the results; however I wanted to see what was available as far as sealers go. I don't want to change the look of the bluestone, i.e. I don't want to deepen the color or make it glossy. Just want to do any preventative maintenance to avoid oak leaf stains, etc. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stoneguy(Zn 7 MD)

Very nice porch upgrade! I particularly like your choice to have the Bluestone rock-faced. It makes the job look so much better than a simple sawn or flamed edge.

For sealing without any change in appearance, you could check out the Stone Tech proffesional product line. I don't really think any sealer will truly prevent oak leaf discoloration completely. In my experience the brown stains from fall's leaves will fade away on it's own after the leaves are gone & a bunch of rain has rinsed the stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone Tech Sealer

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 7:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tammyct(CT Shoreline)

Thank you for your comments and information. The rock face was my idea after seeing it at a local fine furniture store in Old Saybrook, CT. The job on this building was unbelievable and no expense was spared with workmanship (stone and wood). I quickly went to the same stone yard they used and changed my order to rock face. Makes a huge difference. ;-)

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
how to keep smaller patio stones from shifting
I recently dry-laid a ~450 sq. ft bluestone patio in...
mweinberg81
Fake rock covers
Hello to all. I may not be asking this in the correct...
kennym_2010
Using polymeric sand with interlocking pavers
We're putting in some interlocking pavers for patio...
sheckylovejoy
Should blue stone be sealed?
We dry laid blue stone in our back patio. I'm trying...
Kathy Silverman
Suggestions?
Suggestions for Rock Garden that is Shaded, Wet Spot...
mamabear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™