What grade of gravel?

rdmiller(Z9)August 17, 2005

Question on grade of gravel for a path.

I am following directions from Better Homes & Gardens book on how to make a gravel path. 1) Lay down a covering of landscape fabric, which I'm doing. 2) 2 inches of 'construction grade' gravel. Question here: the guy at the materials yard advises me to use AB Roadgrade Gravel here. Says it will compact well. I'm worried about drainage. Any advice from experienced users/builders? Wondering if pea gravel would be better.

After this layer I will put down another of landscape fabric to keep the two gravels from mixing. Then a 2 inch layer of river rock. Need to know if the roadgrade gravel is okay.

Thanks.

Ralph

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treebeard(z5 MA)

Roadgrade gravel will be fine. It will compact tightly, and it will drain well. If it didn't drain or compact well, it wouldn't be specified as roadgrade.

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 1:13PM
rdmiller(Z9)

Thank you so much for this answer. Very reassuring. I will proceed with roadgrade gravel.

Bookmark   August 17, 2005 at 1:18PM
treebeard(z5 MA)

Pea gravel (also called pea stone) is a fine material for applications that don't require dense compaction. Trying to compact pea gravel can be like trying to compact a bed of marbles...the shape of the aggregate, (rounded), is not conducive to stable compaction as a base material. If stone is to be used in place of a varied aggregate material it should be a 'crushed' stone material that is made up of a more angular aggregate that will bind together well when compacted.

Materials that are identified as 'roadgrade' more often than not are identified as such by the construction industry for their inherent ability to be compacted to a high stable density without losing their ability to allow water to freely drain throughout the bed. Successful road construction depends largely upon the ability of the base materials under the driving surface to maintain that high density compaction while also staying dry.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 6:54AM
More Discussions
Should blue stone be sealed?
We dry laid blue stone in our back patio. I'm trying...
Kathy Silverman
A natural shale/stone facade
(If this is not the most appropriate forum for this...
actionclaw
New NH Paver Patio
Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for some time and...
TB151
Cutting concrete pavers
Hi all! In my dreams, I'm planning a courtyard look...
CEFreeman
Suggestions?
Suggestions for Rock Garden that is Shaded, Wet Spot...
mamabear
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™