Path on a slope?

well_drained(z6a MA)August 3, 2004

My 100 X 50 foot long back yard has a slope of about 6% total away from the house. I have traced out an S-shaped path that mostly cuts across the slope, except for the two turns. I am now digging out the path to a depth of 8 inches to put in gravel, then sand, then stone (large stepping stones with some pebbles, and then moss in the gaps).

Here is my concern: Because of the slope, the side of the trench closer to the house is at a higher grade than the far side. Also, starting from the end of the path, farthest from the house, the base of the path is getting higher and higher as I move up the path toward the house, even though I am still digging down 8 inches. Therefore, the path slopes from side to side and from front to back.

Is it OK to build this path on this slope with no steps? Is it OK to have a soil base that is sloping in two directions? Can I tamp down the gravel, and sand, etc., and place the rocks on such a path? I am using a home-made screed to make sure that each section is 8 inches from grade to base, but I haven't been using a level. If I were to use a level for the whole path, by the time the path got to the house it would be six feet deep. When I walk the path, there is no significant sense of going down a hill, because of the way it cuts across the grain. But I'm concerned that there are engineering issues I'm overlooking.

-- wd

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bambooo(6 CT USA)

Walk the path with your eyes closed.
If there are bad spots you will feel them.

Bookmark   August 3, 2004 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Laying Patio Pavers with sand base only?
I am planning to do three different patios. One is...
ajbaab
how to keep smaller patio stones from shifting
I recently dry-laid a ~450 sq. ft bluestone patio in...
mweinberg81
protecting pavers
Hi everybody, I am new here so I hope I am in the right...
jumeda33
Using polymeric sand with interlocking pavers
We're putting in some interlocking pavers for patio...
sheckylovejoy
Curing colored stepping stones
I created a stepping stone pathway made out of concrete....
mswoodtchr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™