best product to seal flagstone

ekkoOctober 29, 2007

I recently put a sealer specifically made for spanish tile on my new flagstone patio and it looked GREAT... for about 2 weeks. Now, even though I applied 3 coats, you can hardly even tell that a sealer was applied at all. I'm guessing that this is due to the porosity of the stone and using the wrong product.

Is there a product out there that is made specifically for flagstone? I really like the wet look so I'd prefer a product that will give me more of a glossy finish. The photo below was taken this afternoon and you can see that the stone has pretty much reverted back to its natural appearance.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tufftufa(Z9 coastal SC)

I was advised to use a 'color enhancing stone sealer' from any reputable brand. I bought a pint of what they had at Lowes (about $35.00). It goes a long way and needs to be spread very thinly. It's been on several months on the back (rough) side of granite cut offs I'm putting down for a patio. Looks good, brings out the color (it all looked like raw concrete before but in our heavy dew climate I couldn't have the polished side 'up'). I'll try to post some pix when I finish later this month. I've probably coated 75-90 square feet so far and have more left. Let us know what you do and how it turns out. Nice looking as it is.

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 2:15PM
More Discussions
Laying Patio Pavers with sand base only?
I am planning to do three different patios. One is...
ajbaab
Millstones/Grindstones
We have about seven millstones that someone is interested...
djtcl5
Patio grading
I am having a contractor build a patio for us (14'x12'). Till...
rbaustin
Decomposed Granite: Is this really as fine as you'd expect?
Hi, The only decomposed granite path I have seen is...
sleepy81
building dry stack wall on compacted path
My situation: I have a yard that is a horrible combination...
rustygreer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™