a fieldstone fence

hoyess(z5 ON Can)November 3, 2007

I've always loved the look of a fieldstone wall or fence and this year, with some free stones from a neighbour, I was able to build my own. I must say, one of the funnest projects I've ever done.

Here are some pictures from my website.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: fieldsone fence

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squirrel_girl

WOW! That was quite a project. I'm truly speechless. The work involved in getting those stones so nicely placed must have been incredible. I've tried with little piles just to see if I could tackle a bigger project. I quit after 30 minutes. WOW!

Bookmark   November 4, 2007 at 6:03PM
jugglerguy(z4-5 MI)

Pictures like those are the reason I come to this site. Thank you for sharing them. That's a really nice looking wall. I've built a couple of retaining walls, which must be much easier than freestanding walls. I use rocks just like the ones you used, but I hand pick the ones I want from farmer's rock piles. Some day maybe I'll try a freestanding wall.

There's a really cool Website from Canada about rock walls. They offer classes on how to construct them properly. I'd love to take one some day.

Here's the address: http://www.jboyweb.com/drystonewall/

I've also linked to pictures of my easier retaining walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: My rock projects

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 7:03PM
hoyess(z5 ON Can)

Thanks squirrel girl -- I don't even want to think of how many hours went into that project! Was fun though.

Jugglerguy I LOVE your stone path but would think digging holes in the ground for rocks would be even more work!? Mind you, I showed DH and have already started thinking -- could that be my new project for next year!

Lovely garden pictures too.

Sharon

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 7:17PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

Great job! You must have a very strong back ;-) I love stone walls, yours are encouraging.

Bookmark   November 16, 2007 at 8:05PM
reads_n_writes(5)

Oh my, Sharon, your wall is gorgeous! Did you start building directly on the ground or did you dig first and start below grade? I absolutely love the way it turned out and I can't wait to try something like that! I'm hoping the latter half of this summer I can start building with rocks again (I have a baby due at the end of June so that will hold work off for a while. :) I have lots of rocks collected though!

And Jugglerguy, I remember your stone path from back when you first built it (I'm sort of a lurker on this forum every now and then). Thanks for posting the link again. I think your stone work is so gorgeous and I've been planning to make a path like that ever since seeing it. How has it held up over the years? Have you had to reset many stones? Is it heaving a lot in the cold weather?

Alina

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 11:14AM
jugglerguy(z4-5 MI)

My path has held up well after several winters. I haven't reset any stones. The wall is in it's second winter and is holding up well.

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Dry creek bed
I recently finished building a dry creek bed in my...
dawgie
Landscape Fabric for erosion control
Hello all~ Quick question about using landscape fabric...
acdacd
River rock composition
I'd like to build an assembly (for lack of a better...
maurodiroma
Millstones/Grindstones
We have about seven millstones that someone is interested...
djtcl5
Shaling Flagstone?
I think that's the term. All you Gurus of Stone, what...
CEFreeman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™