Cracks in Mortar of Flagstone Patio

JDGroves(8)December 12, 2005

I have a large flagstone patio set over a 4" concrete base. Recently I have noticed some small cracks in the joints between some of the stones.

Any advice on how to deal with these would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
samuri98(Grand Rapids)

I am guessing that you live in a climate that has multiple freeze/thaw cycles. everything moves with the weather conditions - expanding and contracting. additionally, if water somehow finds its way into the mortar or stone, it could expand when frozen and aid in the hairline cracks in your mortar.

I would repair the joints the best I could, adding a liquid latex (B-20) to the mortar mix. this will allow more flexibility. then I would seal the whole thing with a waterproofer like: "Gloss n' Guard" or "Weather Seal Siloxane"

this will keep the water out of your flagstone and joints.

Belden Brick and Supply Co. in Grand Rapids carries this stuff if you are interested. they may have more answers as well!

Bookmark   December 15, 2005 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
avecxo

I have also tried filling the joints with sand & then tried using the dry mortar method.The joints look terrible with the mortar & now the flagstone surface are smeared with dried mortar ! I'm unsure of what to do next, I'm checking with concrete manufactures for possible options.

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Laying Patio Pavers with sand base only?
I am planning to do three different patios. One is...
ajbaab
River rock composition
I'd like to build an assembly (for lack of a better...
maurodiroma
Cutting concrete pavers
Hi all! In my dreams, I'm planning a courtyard look...
CEFreeman
what is best mortar to use to reset a quartzite stone sidewalk?
A simple question? (with a long back story)... What...
sunfunchicago
Grow plants between patio pavers
OK, I have a question that I think will be extremely...
Nutmeg_MRM
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™