Hobby Greenhouse Monitoring System

susandonb(NC 7)January 31, 2008

Hello All,

I have been researching monitoring systems for my 8x12 greenhouse. I am a bit confused with all the reviews and systems out there. I prefer to get first hand info from those who have used a product. There are quite a few on Ebay and I am trying to stay under $200. I like the idea of being able to keep charts on my puter but am not sure I can find a reliable system in that price range.

I saw the La Crosse systems but a review site did not have very good things to say about them. One guys motherboard got fried by it?

Does anyone have any advice in this area?

Thank you,

Susan in NC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdwidow

Now I'm confused. Exactly what kind of "monitoring" are you planning? If you want to keep records on temps and humidity over the course of time, why would you need any special programs?

Or- Are you referring to some type of GH sensor that would transmit data directly to your computer?

Bookmark   February 1, 2008 at 8:04PM
dirtbert(z4)

I have a LaCrosse system and it works wonderfully.
It did come with data recorder software that basically pulls the data off the unit when I have it connected to my puter. Otherwise it is not connected, since it needs to be in the window sill in a different room to read from the sensor in the greenhouse (to be in range).
The software that it came with "Data Recorder" is super easy to use and will pull the data off the recorder and has the option to save it to a file. That file can then be loaded into a spreadsheet program like MS Excel or MS Works Spreadsheet.

I love it and don't know how I would monitor the temp and humidity in my greenhouse without it.

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 8:48PM
susandonb(NC 7)

Bert, I have been looking at those. I came across a site that has reviews on them for systems and the LaCrosse, did not get great reviews but I think I will end up trying one of theirs.

Thanks for sharing your info.
Susan

Bookmark   February 2, 2008 at 8:53PM
amigatec(7a Oklahoma)

I know this is a bit high, but the think Growtronix is the way to go.
This is the system I plan to go with. It uses standard phone wire. I plan to run cat 5 cable to my Greenhouse and use that to control it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growtronix

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Glass 'Greenhouse' in South?
Someday, I want to have a glass greenhouse/potting...
alikat33
temp in your greenhouse, and temp/weather outside, right now?
I'm curious as to what kind of passive solar gain you...
hairmetal4ever
heating a greenhouse
I have purchased my first greenhouse. I plant to use...
galt_museum
Do hoop house grown veggie starts need hardening off?
Will the veggie starts that I'm growing from seed in...
anikkins
Largest greenhouse in the world...
I recently returned from a trip to SE Asia and spent...
kudzu9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™