How to Clean Suede Work Gloves

LisaBC(NM Z5 HeatZn5)January 17, 2007

How do you clean suede work gloves that have had garden soil worked into them? I've tried washing some other ones just like I wash my hands and hanging them up to dry in a shady spot, but that made them stiff. Thanks! Lisa~

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueberrier1

Hello, Lisa...Love those gloves! Leather and suede wash well(by hand) in a salt solution with a mild soap. Cold water only. Have used Pears soap (from Dollar tree) as well as glycerine soaps. Rinse water gets a few drops of olive oil. Dry from hangar clips. Massage or knead gloves when partially dry. I sometimes put those one piece old fashioned clothes pins in each finger til partially dry. I wash my one suede jacket with cold water (plus dark jeans) and a pound of salt on gentle cycle in the washing machine about once a year. Toss in dryer with dark towels on air dry for 10 minutes and hang up. Knead as for gloves. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 28, 2007 at 2:25PM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

one question, WHY?

they are work gloves and should be used for work, not for looks. to me the dirt gives them character!

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 1:26PM
gardener_sandy

I'm terrible about getting dirt inside my gloves and grinding it into my finger tips. So once in awhile I put them on my hands, wash the outside with mild soap, turn them inside out and put them back on and do it again. Then I rinse well and leave them wrong side out till about half dry. Turn again and knead a little and they are just fine. They seem to last longer by doing this, probably because the dirt doesn't wear away the finger tips as quickly.

Bookmark   March 14, 2007 at 2:08AM
LisaBC(NM Z5 HeatZn5)

Thanks for all the great tips!

I found a great way to clean suede work gloves. I threw them into the washer with the jeans. They came out fairly clean. I hung them to dry with clothes pins with a hook on the top. I squeezed them gently ever few hours so they wouldn't get stiff.

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 4:03AM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

davidandkasie ~ the softer leathers such as suede or goatskin become very stiff as the dirt grinds in, which makes them uncomfortable to wear. Also, I wash my gloves everytime I pull up poison ivy -- I know, I know, use the plastic bags -- but sometimes, I just forget and yank, which puts the PI sap on the gloves. A quick wash and then I can slap skeeters without getting a PI rash.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 12:05PM
wildcritters4all

Does anyone have a measurement idea of how much salt to use in the salt solution previously listed? Also would saddle cleaner work on swede gloves? Please let me know- I have sveral gloves to clean! thanks! FYI- It reached into the 90 mothers'day in minnesota! Go figure- we seem to be missing out on springs and falls now!

Bookmark   May 14, 2007 at 3:09PM
davidandkasie(Z8 MS)

i have never had a problem with them getting stiff. i agree with washing them after handling PI, but i use mine so much that they never get stiff.

if you really want to keep them soft, use baseball glove conditioner.

Bookmark   May 18, 2007 at 10:07AM
khloris

I never had a problem with my gloves getting stiff either. At least not when I lived in a clay soil area. When I moved to sandy loam soil it was a totally different story. Darn gloves set like cement overnight! Doesn't matter if you use them every day it depends on your soil.
Thanks for the tip on washing I was thinking about using them as a garden sculpture but now I can get my favorite gloves back!

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
New Gardener with three raised beds
I just created 3 raised beds but do not have anything...
Redwigglerwarrior
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, We are trying to figure out ways to add curb appeal...
aligal266
How do you get the gardening information that you need?
Hi everyone! I'm new to gardenweb, Houzz, whatever...but...
tanya117
First Aid for young "fallen" coleus
I am a beginner gardener. Several weeks ago I started...
Ralph Thayer
Need help with Alocasia Giant Borneo
Hello I am new to the forums so I hope someone can...
JoseVe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™