shade

pearsaml(6)February 26, 2011

I've been gardening in my backyard for a couple of years now, but most of my yard receives less than 4 hours of sunlight. I have some caladiums growing in the shade along the fence, but I am interested in using more of the space for plants that are more useful.... Are there any vegetables or herbs that will grow in minimal sunlight... The areas receive between 2-3 hours of direct sunlight. I have a small area of the yard that receives full sunlight but it's used up quickly with some tomatoes, peppers, strawberries and hops plants. I just feel like the other 3/4 of my yard is going to waste just having grass growing in it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I can think of no edible crops that would be able to gather enough of the sun's energy to produce in your location.

You could experiment with some of the leafy veggies such as different kinds of lettuce, chard, spinach, beet greens, etc. but 2-3 hours of sunlight is really soooo limiting.

There are, however, plenty of ornamental plants that thrive in the shade. Perhaps you need to establish some other priorities: attractive foliage, flowers, interesting texture, etc.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 11:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ACook122

Good post, rhizo! I can't think of much to do without a significant amount of sunlight but you have a good idea...

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
How to see my posts
I have done a lot of searching on this site, but I...
jay174
New Gardener with three raised beds
I just created 3 raised beds but do not have anything...
Redwigglerwarrior
Clay soil problems
Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you all! I was wondering...
destany
Natural insect killer.
I'm just starting to use diatomaceous earth, which...
rredbbeard
What is your favorite wall-mounted hose holder?
My front yard hose goes on the wall right next to the...
zagyzebra
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™