What Could Smell Better Than A Spring Flush?

Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)April 26, 2014

What could smell better than an amazing spring flush of highly scented Austin's and Antique roses?

All those roses and a very very happy grapefruit tree in full bloom. What a scent. If you have never enjoyed a citrus orchard in bloom, it is more intoxicating than roses and carries on the breeze

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Kippy, we have an orange orchard next door and the scent is intoxicating, especially in the evening. Much stronger than any rose could ever smell and enough to make one swoon. I don't have a huge number of fragrant roses so the citrus fragrance is a marvelous bonus.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 1:01AM
ArbutusOmnedo 10/24

Growing up we had what I have since been able to identify as a Michelia x alba in the back yard. My goodness was the scent to die for. It died while I was in high school unfortunately. Luckily two are grown near me so I get to enjoy the scent still. Citrus orchards must be divine though. We always had several lemon trees of various types growing up which had a wonderful bouquet. My grandpa lived in Anaheim and had 8 orange trees that were just incredible smelling. He made sure that Orange County lived up to the name.

I personally find the smell of a mature, full-blooming Brugsmania at night to be one of the most intoxicating scents. I always loved going over to a particular friend's house during college in Berkeley because it meant I'd get to pass an incredible Brugmansia to and fro. My mom has one in the "Pet Cemetery" area of her back yard. It replaced the Michelia as the yard's core fragrance-wafting plant. It is a double, white variety that stinks up the yard in the best kind of way.

Jay

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 1:35AM
seil zone 6b MI

It all sounds delicious! It will be a while before our apple trees bloom but it is intoxicating too!

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 8:49AM
cath41(6a)

Our apple tree is blooming now. It only lasts a few days but the scent, although light, is incomparable - a once a year treat if you can catch it.

Cath

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 10:03PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I never realized the apples had a scent. Will have to check tomorrow. But they are by oranges so they might not stand out

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 12:19AM
sadie_pnw

Fragrance of mock orange shrub blossoms floating in the humid spring air of east Tennessee. :)

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 12:55AM
melissa_thefarm(NItaly)

Wisteria and lilac, as well as the roses of course. And no chemical treatments to mess everything up. Naturally the grass adds its bit, and the subtle or not-so-subtle (onions and mustard) contributions of a zillion other plants. When I go mess around in the shade garden there's a plant that when I bruise it puts out a characteristic foxy but not disagreeable scent. I've never identified it for sure, but believe it's one of the native geraniums.
Mock orange is coming up soon. No citrus, but we can't have ALL the world's scented joys for ourselves in our one little corner.
Melissa

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 1:13AM
justkristy(8TX)

Sweet Olive bushes, when in bloom, can sure get your attention.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 8:27PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

Nothing like driving through Filmore when the oranges are in bloom. You can have the windows closed, the a/c and speeding and you can't help but enjoy those orchards.

Maybe it was too late in the day for the apples, but I did not really notice a scent. But I will keep checking.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:38PM
rosefolly

Lilacs. Then roses.
But they are both wonderful.

Bookmark   April 27, 2014 at 9:52PM
Sow_what? Southern California Inland

The citrus orchard at one end of the in-progress "Garden of Forgotten Dreams" has made working on the new garden pure heaven. The spent orange blossoms, now yielding to the evocative fragrance of jasmine -- abundant and in full bloom.

Time . . . transitions . . . life in a garden.

This post was edited by Sow_what on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 6:13

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 2:47AM
cath41(6a)

kippy,

I have to put my nose right in the apple blossom but the scent is there. Perhaps different trees differ? Now that's a tautology for you!

Cath

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 1:47AM
PortlandMysteryRose(8)

Like others, I substituted mock orange. I think I must have attempted to create my own version of a grove. I have five! My daughter and I were out in the garden today, sticking our noses in the lilacs. Stanwell Perpetual offered us his first bloom of the season. Soon the honeysuckles and jasmines will bloom.... Carol

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 2:37AM
More Discussions
Request to post documentary photos on HMF
Lately I've been cataloging the eighty roses from Petrovic...
Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
Water Usage (Again) . . .
Well! I see that, at long last, the Los Angeles Times...
odinthor
What roses are you adding in 2015?
I have an order coming from Greenmantle Nursery soon...
Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
Poorbutroserich update
Hi. It's me, Susan, just checking in. Due to forum...
roserich
ID great great grandma's rose
Hello! I was advised to ask for help on this page when...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Sponsored Products
Gervin Chair - Lucky Turquoise Blue
Joybird Furniture
Kenya Rug 8' x 10' - BLACK/CREAM
$1,699.00 | Horchow
Paris Flea Market Dark Rust Three Light Semi Flush Mount
$170.00 | Bellacor
Hudson Valley Lighting | Milford Two Light Vanity Light
$192.00 | YLighting
Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light Outdoor Black Fixture with Frosted Seeded Glass
Home Depot