Young Lycidas

jerome(z9 CA)April 3, 2011

Anyone grow this rose? Do you like it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alameda/zone 8

I love mine. Beautiful color, ordered another one this year. Looks beautiful next to Carding Mill.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 12:06PM
jerome(z9 CA)

Thanks for the response Alameda. Do you think it could build to a height of 4 feet or more, or is it a short plant? I agree that the color combo with Carding Mill (which I have) would be beautiful.

Bookmark   April 3, 2011 at 5:29PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

alameda, could you please tell me where you obtained your YL? This is the only one of the new Austins that I'm in love with.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:12AM
alameda/zone 8

I ordered mine from David Austin. Their US warehouse is in Tyler, 2 hours from me, so I pick them up rather than have them sent. Always good plants - big and healthy! Last year was the first year for my YL so I cant really say how big it will get. It is healthy and though I didnt get to spray last year due to 2 knee surgeries, it did just fine and I am looking forward to beautiful blooms this year! From what I can tell....this is a very good rose.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 2:59AM
rosecorgis

Jerome, order it! I love it. I have it in my front yard and passers by stop and ask what it is.

So far, mine is on the shorter side. I hope it stays that way because it's in the front garden. This is it's second year and the new growth is about 3 ft high right now. So far, it has kept a nice bush shape and hasn't done the octopus thing. I have it next to Sister Elizabeth and they make a pretty pair.

I ordered mine from David Austin. Came bare root with the hugest roots. It took off right away.

Debbie

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 11:37AM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Thank you, alameda. I've only ordered from David Austin once since I prefer own-root plants, but I agree with you and Debbie that they have huge roots and are healthy. I might have to make an exception just this once and order from David Austin again. Debbie, I also have Sister Elizabeth and am glad to know that someone else has it too. It doesn't seem to be a very well-known Austin but I really like it a lot.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:58PM
rosecorgis

HI Ingrid. I'll try to remember to take a picture when they're blooming together.

I have Sister Elizabeth because you told me to get it, so I did. It's one of the few that stays on the small side in my heat. Plus, it's that beautiful cool pink.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 1:24PM
jerome(z9 CA)

I wanted to get Sister Elizabeth too, but I've shied away from a lot of those "old rose hybrids" of Austin (Harlow Carr for example) because they do not do well in my micro-climate. I wish they did. I think it's a "not cold enough plus too dry" thing. Even though it's very late to plant bare-roots for us, (that time is December/January) I am very tempted to get this one now. I've planted a Pope John Paul II in June before and it's doing fine.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 2:50PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Jerome, I've had both Harlow Carr and Sister Elizabeth, and in my experience the former is more of a cold-weather rose than the latter, which is why I no longer have it. However, I did replant Sister Elizabeth in a spot with afternoon shade, which she seems to appreciate. Full sun all day did not suit this rose and I'm happy I had a partially shady spot, where her beautiful color stays intact.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 11:55PM
jerome(z9 CA)

Ok all you folks....I've ordered the rose Young Lycidas. Hope it does well for me.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 6:20PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Good for you, Jerome. I'll be very interested to see how it does for you, since I have a similarly hot situation. Naturally we'll expect pictures sooooon.

Ingrid

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 10:53PM
ms. violet grey

I would love Young Lycidas. Must I wait until next spring to acquire her? I live in Houston.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 3:55PM
ilovemyroses(8 Dallas TX)

mauvegirl8, I have planted bare root roses in dallas in the summer and haven't lost one, but I would wait til fall if you can. Or, if you do it now, just don't leave it. And I would not plant in the most scorching area of your yard. Check it daily and mulch well.

It is just a lot more trouble, LOTS MORE! to do it now!

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 9:11AM
jerome(z9 CA)

I'd forgotten about this thread. Now - a year and some months later: Young Lycidas is a total champ in the gardens here. It blooms a lot; it is one of the most fragrant Austins I have; it has a pleasing growth habit; it's not huge. Great plant.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 12:29PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

The source line for the rose's name says,

"Young Lycidas is dead; dead ere his prime!"

So I wasn't expecting such good news.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 1:04PM
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Very funny, Michael. Hopefully our Lycidas will never pass his prime.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Dig a way of antique roses
I am disassembling my antique rose garden in Minnesota....
geodave
Hardier Teas?
My tea roses have taken a beating the last two winters....
subk3
Rose Blooms This Spring
Having failed yet again to post my pictures (sorry...
ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
For the rose breeders among us
I am working on a second pass weeding of my garden...
Rosefolly
Disappointed with Austin order...
I ordered some David Austin roses from Tyler Texas...
SoFL Rose z10
Sponsored Products
Area Rug: Young Buck Collection Superstar 5' x 5' Round
Home Depot
Fire Engine Themed 21.75" High Table Lamp With Shade
Lamps Plus
30'' x 40'' Elmer Elephant Printed Baby Throw
$19.99 | zulily
Donna Young 'Morning' Framed Print
Overstock.com
Lancaster Chair
Design Within Reach